HybridZ

My Z32 got her mounts today....

We put her up on the lift and in about 5 hours had everything fabbed up and ready for the new power plant. These mounts have the engine set low enough to run a carb or fuel injection system. I can fab up a hood latch cross member piece to allow for more room with the fuel injection air ducting if I needed to. This mod to that member would have to use a custom slant radiator. I can reproduce EVERYTHING needed for a COMPLETE swap once we are done for the Z32. And I don't plan on charging even as much as the hinson kits for an Ls-1 swap in the FD rx-7's. Let me know if you would like to talk about complete install kits. Here are some pics. Please remember these are fresh out of slicing and welding. The kits sold to the public would come powder coated. The car is a 1990 300zx TT

IMAGE_00225.jpg

IMAGE_00242.jpg

IMAGE_00243.jpg

IMAGE_00244.jpg

IMAGE_00245.jpg

IMAGE_00246.jpg

IMAGE_00247.jpg

IMAGE_00248.jpg

• Administrators

Looks good. Thanks for posting.

I realize that you are only so far into this conversions currently, but I was hoping that you might be able to answer a few questions?

1) What transmission are you using for mock up?

2) For manual transmission conversions such as the T-56, where does the shifter come through the tunnel in relation to the OE Z-32 shifter?

3) What style of headers are you planning to use with the engine in this position?

4) What sort of exhaust routing are you planning, i.e., from the heads back?

5) How much firewall clearance is there for an HEI distributor?

6) What accessories are you planning to run and where will they be mounted, i.e. will you be able to use OE mounts and brackets?

7) What radiator are you planning to use, OE or aftermarket?

8) How much clearance is there between the water pump pulley/snout and the radiator?

9) Are the Z-32 heater hose and A/C line firewall penetrations able to remain in the stock locations?

10) How about the rest of the firewall penetrations, i.e. wiring etc?

Thank you again for posting,

Paul

I will answer all the above questions and even the ones we haven't ran into yet as I go. I will keep everyone posted with pics and info as I go. Hoping to get the engine and trans in by the end of May and have the car at the track. Questions I can answer so far are. Stock or aftermarket aluminum radiator can be used if you go with an electric water pump with a low profile motor. Or you can use the LS-1 style stock water pump. You will have to use a stock style distributor with a remote mounted coil. Unless you want to chop just a little into your firewall. All fire wall openings seem to be no problem for the engine at this time. But wait and I will let you know for sure. Exhaust wise and don't hold me too it just yet. But because of the time we took to get as much clearence as we could. You will be able to use a set of shorty corvette headers or even "possibly" long tube headers! I only plan on running the following accessories. Altenator, power steering pump, and an electric water pump. I am going to use an aftermarket style under dash air conditioner setup. The fab up trans was a 700r4. But I have the room for as big as a 4L80E with the mounts I'm building. So the transmission choices are endless. Everything on the line up of shifter location seems to be perfect. But let me see once I get to that point. Hope I helped.

I wish I had photos to share. I got through pulling the V6 and had the LS1 half-way mounted and deployed to Iraq. Since I came back I've gotten married and moved and had to buy furniture and the car is with my folks in Atlanta and and...

I think you get the jist of it. lol

Got more pics for ya'll. Pulled the Z to the shop today and started yanking the motor out of the other car and getting ready to drop it's new internals in. Transmission should be built and ready by the end of next week. Getting close...Yummy.

IMAGE_00258.jpg

IMAGE_00259.jpg

IMAGE_00266.jpg

IMAGE_00256.jpg

IMAGE_00254.jpg

How many people have owned that z32? Its been for sale on here about 5 times under several different screen names. At one time the seller claimed it was already swapped with a LT1 in it, and one member, AbsolutePower claimed it was his, and was banned?

No clue, car was sold to a friend of mine down south. He stored it for about 2 years. I ran into him at the Darlington race track and the deal was made. So who knows. It did have some clues of work that had begun on the car for something. Never the less she has a SBC going in her now for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Calico, I pmed you back with the info you need. But there is no "shop". Me and shome friends just have tons of friends who race, so we all pretty much came together and rent a very large old Greyhound Bus maintance shop for pretty cheap. So we have everything we need to build everything our littel hearts desire. We do alot fo racing down here. So it just became smarter to come together and work on each others cars, instead of paying all the shops around here to do it. Just let me know if you need any help.

• 4 months later...