HybridZ

SR20DET with installation in 280z for $2500 in under 6 hours

Did you guys see this post?

Hmmm I don't know that seems a bit too pricey... A friend I have on myspace does engine swaps he will do an sr20det swap for my 280z and charge 2,500 he supplies the motor he gets everything done within 6 hours or he discounts 50 dollars. Cool huh? For a 240sx Sr20det he charges 2,300 within the 6 hour range.:P

I called BS.

I guess I could also install at that price, $50 off if it takes more than 6 hours and another $50 off if it takes more than 6 years and another $50 off it takes more than 25 years

If the shop had a connection on motors in japan and was shipping back via container they would be making pretty good cash for 6 hours of work. not sure how much of a quality job it would be in 6 hours though. I do think it could be done if you know exactly what your doing.

Think about. If your have a front clip... disco wires pull it out the bottom and install the new clip from the bottom splice some wires and bam your done. Some one that has done it a couple times and knows what they are doing could do it.

A buddy of mine here in alaska owns a shop. he did the swap on a s14. he pulled the motor out the top and installed the new motor and had it running the following day. about 16 hours of labor. that was his first time doing the swap. If the s13/s14 never haad a sr20 then it would be different.

The costs for fuel, exhaust, water and instrumentation would eat that budget up, both in dollars and in time.

I can see if a guy knew what he was doing and had the majority of the fab work done before hand that you could get one in in 6 hours. But to have it a drivable car with everything working seems hard to imagine.

Ok let me put it this way..... stock for stock the sr20 is a bolt in swap. even the ka non turbo cars have all the mounts and holes needed to install the stock intercooler the sr20 240s had.

There would be no fuel mods the car is allready fuel injected. Wiring is very straight forward. This would take time the first time but once you did it a couple times it would be a snap.Not sure what you mean buy water.... radiator is also bolt in. with 2 or 3 guys it could be done for sure.

I dont think they are getting rich or nothing but for a bone stock swap i bet they are making 1k on the deal atleast. do 2 or 3 a month on top of the normal business, thats a pretty good suplemental income.

Ok let me put it this way..... stock for stock the sr20 is a bolt in swap. even the ka non turbo cars have all the mounts and holes needed to install the stock intercooler the sr20 240s had.

There would be no fuel mods the car is allready fuel injected. Wiring is very straight forward. This would take time the first time but once you did it a couple times it would be a snap.Not sure what you mean buy water.... radiator is also bolt in. with 2 or 3 guys it could be done for sure.

I dont think they are getting rich or nothing but for a bone stock swap i bet they are making 1k on the deal atleast. do 2 or 3 a month on top of the normal business, thats a pretty good suplemental income.

So the stock radiator works, there is no fabricating for heater hook ups, can use the sr20 fan and controller, the temp sensor fits the stock connector and runs the 280 guage correctly, and I guess can even reuse the stock hoses with no mods or replacements needed?

So with 1K profit that means maybe $1k to source the running turbo motor with transmission, radiator, intercooler, piping, CPU and harness. That leaves $500 for miscellaneous fittings, connectors, headers, exhaust clamps, aircleaner ducting, vacuum lines, wire wrap, heat sheilds, bolts, nuts, WD40, oil, brake fluid, clutch linkage, throttle linkage, antifreeze, motor mounts, trans mounts, band aids, beer....

And I guess the stock driveshaft is a bolt up, the stock 280 fuel pump is more than adequate for the added HP and the stock speedo and tach mesh right up to that 4 banger?

like lewis just posted, the guy said that $2500 was for a swap into an s13, the guy was mistaken thinking that the same quote was for his 280z.

No matter what at $2500 including motor, you will not be making any money doing this swap into a S30.