HybridZ

Making my own EFI intake... The casting begins!

Derek

I managed to get a little free time and got the stainless throttle tubes made. Originally I was just going to cast around the stainless then drill through the entire casting and tube for the throttle shaft. I was never really crazy about this and finally came up with a better plan.

Here's a shot of the bottom core mold with the throttle tubes in position.

DSC_0004.jpg

Keep in mind your looking at the inside of the manifold. The silver paint is release. I pre-drilled the tube and drilled a 1/4" locating hole in the core box. The plastic tube serves two functions. First it locates the throttle shaft hole in the correct position. Second it will hold the bronze bushings that I'm going to cast in place as well. Now after it's cast all I have to do is ream out the bronze busings and the trottle shafts are good to go. If I want to counter bore the manifold for bearings I can do that as well because the boss for the bearing will still be there.

Here's a closeup of what I'm talking about

DSC_0005.jpg

Notice how the throttle tube is flush with the runner. This means there wont be a step or ledge (I hope) between the aluminum and the stainless.

This is the top section of the core.

DSC_0006-1.jpg

After this core is made I will saw out the section where the stainless tube would go and glue the cores together.

Here's the bottom core filled with the catalyzed core sand

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

When the sand is cured and I glue the two parts together I'll hand finish the seams so that everything is nice and smooth.

Unfortunately I had to leave before the sand kicked so i don't have any shots of the cores out of the boxes.

Hopefully I'll be heading over to the foundry next week to cast the manifold.

Derek

Thanks Guys

I started the paint work on the patterns so I should be on target for casting on Wednesday. I'm still pretty far from having all the parts to complete the thing but I figure having half a manifold kicking around the shop will motivate me to complete the rest.

Derek