HybridZ

Strange chrome roof trim

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie to this forum, as I just picked up a 1974 260Z for the purpose of a JTR V8 swap. The car is solid car from Texas, but had a feature I had not seen on Z's before...it has a 4" wide x 1/4" tall chrome strip on the roof, and it runs across the roof from door to door a couple inches in front of the rear hatch. It almost looks like it was the back part of a landau kit or something, and it is glued on. There is no other chrome trim on the roof.

I'm going to remove it, but was just curious if anyone else has seen one of these. Thanks...I look forward many conversations on this forum. -Rod

I have seen that before.

There used to be this old coot in my neighborhood that had a pea soup green 280Z, complete with wire wheel hubcaps, white mudflaps with reflectors on 'em and, a white vinyl half top, separated by a 4" gold anodized strip across the roof.

It was just hideous but, he looked awful proud of it whenever I saw him on his usual 35 m.p.h. cruise through town.

Believe it or not, that was actually an option on the 280ZX. I have one, brand new, never installed, still in the Nissan box, sitting in my garage. Never seen it on a Z (as in S30, non ZX) before, but I'm relatively sure it would fit.

Warren