HybridZ

LS1 Firewall, Intake, TB, MAF Spacing

Couple of questions:

1) Does the Throttle body and the MAF have to have certain spacing between the two? (i.e. can the MAF be 1" or 6" away from the throttle body and does it have any significant effect performance?)

2) Can anyone tell me what the spacing is from the rear of the intake manifold to the firewall is?

What I'm trying to do is flip the intake manifold like this:

LS7-Manifold-Spun-07a.jpg

LS7-Manifold-Spun-05a.jpg

http://www.ihp.com/GTR/Construction/gtr_construction_engine.html

I want to do essentially cowl intake pulling in through the wiper vents and allow more room to vent from the radiator like Terry and 74_5.0 or similar options.

Something similar to this, but for an LS1:

DCP_3341.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Tyson

Anything is possible, but it is not alot space between the firewall and intake with the intake in the normal position maybe 3.5 -5 inches max. My fuel lines are just below the hood latch and it is just enough room to fit your hands behind the intake with a little wiggle room..

fuel_line_1.JPG

Wouldn't the rear intake setup increase noise volume? The cowl intake area is where air enters the cabin, meaning any noise created in that area can enter the cabin. This might be a problem since the LS1 gathers air from a single tube so air speed(therefore noise) at the entrance of tube increases.

I am bringing this up because I think this setup is interesting and I am one of those people who would prefer a quiet cabin. If the noise is loud only when I put my foot on the gas then it would be fine, but will it be loud all the time with rear intake setup?

NeedforZ thats what some of the LS1 guys were complaining about is that it'd increase cabin noise. I don't know for sure if it would be the same on a 240z though I'd figure it would increase the noise somewhat. It doesn't matter much to me because well I like to hear the motor all the time... I think i'm going to try it with mine and see how it goes.

Tyson

• 4 weeks later...

tfreer85 (Tyson),

My thought on reversing the intake was why ???? However, i was looking at Renegade Hybrids (Swapping V8, and Sub WRXs' into Porsches)and they have a Porsche 911 with a LS1 motor and the intake is reversed. Check out renegadehybrids.com very interesting stuff ; I am thinking an LS1 in Porsche 914 for sh$ts and giggles as my next project !!!!!

Hey Glenn thanks, I started to build a 914 SBC project before I was able to buy my Z. Haven't checked out renegadehybrids in a while, thanks for reminding me. Definitely is one COOL swap IMO, sleeper and fast!!!

I don't have performance reason, just a be different reason :P

Tyson

it can be as close or as far as you want as long as there is no air leak in between

now i have see at a car show, and ls1 tb directly mated to the maf, custom??

i dont know i did a quick seach and found nothing, may be welding the tb to the maf housing . since there both alum i can see it being done by a good welder.

the one one i saw looked powder coated red.

speed and performance has some custom ls1 part you might check them out

now i have see at a car show, and ls1 tb directly mated to the maf, custom??

i dont know i did a quick seach and found nothing, may be welding the tb to the maf housing . since there both alum i can see it being done by a good welder.

the one one i saw looked powder coated red.

speed and performance has some custom ls1 part you might check them out

The only part about that idea that might suck is if you need to replace teh MAF sensor. You would end up having to buy a new TB and MAF$$$! I think it would really cut down on the space you would need though...

Guy

you can just replaced the center section on the new gm maf, there is 3 part to the new maf the 2 outer housing and the center section,

the f-body guys swap out the outer housing for aftermarket better flowing housings.