HybridZ

Tokico Illumina from JDMwerks and MSA Blue springs

Hi,

I searched JDMwerks of Ebay and searched and read all the threads on the Tokico spring/shock packages and them being too low.

I am not buying the Tokico Springs just the Illumina shocks themselves for $399 with free shipping. This is the best deal I could find on Illumina shocks. Do you think I am making a mistake buying the shocks from JDMwerks?

I have a set of Blue lowering springs (both linear?) that MSA used to sell as their own that I haven't put on the car yet.

I see the Tokico Illumina shocks are a good choice but has anybody run the MSA Blue springs with the Tokico illumina combination before?

I am Installing a 95 Trans Am LT1/T56, Griffin aluminum radiator, Lincoln 2 speed fan so judging from what I have read so far I am only adding a little less that 100Lbs to the weight of the car.

SO should I buy the Tokico's from JDMwerks?

Keep the MSA Blue springs? or sell them and buy the Arizona Z springs?

Project Money is starting to get a little low.

Thanks all,

Greg

Thanks Mario, I was just checking his feedback of 99.4% so I feel a little better.

Anybody else using the MSA Blue springs with Illumina's?

Thoughts, comments etc.

I only want to change the shocks and springs once if I can.

Thanks,

Greg

FWIW, last summer I bought a set of the Illuminas + Tokico springs from JDMwerks. Turned out one of the rear struts failed almost immediately and he was quite reasonable in sending a replacement out before I returned the bad one. I did have to call him and pester him to get it done as he doesn't appear to pay too much attention to email, but he did the important things promptly and without any hassle.

BTW, I paid about $525 for the complete set delivered. I don't see those deals anymore so wonder if Tokico raised their prices?

Also the Illuminas have a lifetime warranty with Tokico.

If they break or fail all you need is proof of purchase to get a new one.

On the springs, how low do you want your car? Some people are dissapointed on the drop, since it might end up the same if your previous springs were already drooping.

Mario

I bought my illuminas from JDMwerks for $375 just over a year ago. I put them with my 2.5"idX10"length coilover springs. 225 lb/in front; 250 lb/in rear

Got them on time with no problems.

I mounted my 7" coilover perches 8" from the top of the strut. I can drop the car almost until the struts bottom out.

I'd say save the $350 for parts and then welding costs and convert to coilovers. I modified the stock spring hats to work with the coilover springs...camber plates soon though...

• 4 months later...

Like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-ILLUMINA-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-260Z-280Z-75-78_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitemZ160160106913

FWIW, last summer I bought a set of the Illuminas + Tokico springs from JDMwerks. Turned out one of the rear struts failed almost immediately and he was quite reasonable in sending a replacement out before I returned the bad one. I did have to call him and pester him to get it done as he doesn't appear to pay too much attention to email, but he did the important things promptly and without any hassle.

BTW, I paid about $525 for the complete set delivered. I don't see those deals anymore so wonder if Tokico raised their prices?

I have those MSA blue springs on one of my 240Zs. I used the elcheapo Tokico-Blue cartridges in stock 240Z length. I also have the front and rear swaybar kits from MSA 15 years ago. I love the way they handle together.

I was going to put illuminas and coilovers on that car years ago... but I see absolutely no reason to change until I get a bigger engine and LSD rear end. I have trimmed the springs slightly lower after I removed all the bumpers, lightened the battery, and removed all the accessories and emissions hardware. The car weighs 2499 with me(172lbs) in it and 8 gal of gas.

It is my current track car and it sees a variety of tracks in the south east. I have no problems with bottoming at Road Atlanta, VIR and 22-degree banked ovals like North Carolina Motor Speeday. It is streetable but rough. I would say that is the stiffest combination I would ever want for a streetable car.

VIR with some big dips and whoopies.

th_240ZE30350ZVIRNorthcourse.jpg

NCMS Rockingham is a ROUGH track with a high-G bank at 100MPH.

th_RockinghamTHSCCNov2006.jpg

The springs I purchased were red, not blue, and for a 71-73, not later. My understanding is that Tokico only offers one spring rate for early Zs so don't know if the color matters or not. I agree with BJ that they are a bit stiff for the street, even with the illumina's on their softest setting (which isn't soft at all). But once I put the strut bars on, things tightened up and the chassis handles it all rather well now. Also, with added negative camber, I don't have to run the tire pressure as high which helps with driveability.

Just last weekend I added the adjustable camber bushings up front for the lower control arms and after aligning them, it has made a noticeable improvement in front grip, as well as stability at the limit. Of course, I've only been able to test this on a few onramps. but will have it out on the track again next Friday.

Hey Daniel,

This is Jim from the ZCCC...I had the silver 260Z. We were out at 2nd creek a few times. So what track are you going out onto? I am trying to find a good deal on suspension for the 280Z I bought (350 V8 ).

The springs I purchased were red, not blue, and for a 71-73, not later. My understanding is that Tokico only offers one spring rate for early Zs so don't know if the color matters or not. I agree with BJ that they are a bit stiff for the street, even with the illumina's on their softest setting (which isn't soft at all). But once I put the strut bars on, things tightened up and the chassis handles it all rather well now. Also, with added negative camber, I don't have to run the tire pressure as high which helps with driveability.

Just last weekend I added the adjustable camber bushings up front for the lower control arms and after aligning them, it has made a noticeable improvement in front grip, as well as stability at the limit. Of course, I've only been able to test this on a few onramps. but will have it out on the track again next Friday.