HybridZ

Start the car and let it warm up, drive a short distance, if you can, then park it, cycle the shifter through all the positions, leave it in neutral and running then check the fluid level. Once the tranny is warm and while the engine is running the fluid should be at the full mark.

You could be low on fluid, have bad connections between the PCM and the tranny or the tranny might be shot. The tranny is from a Caprice right? If it's an ex-cop car the tranny might be in bad shape. The car I got my engine from was a retired cop car, 3rd gear was totally gone. When the tranny "shifted" into 3rd the engine would rev, grab a little, rev some more, grab a little bit more and then nothing. To get it home I had to shift to 2nd, get up to about 50mph and the go right to 4th which would cause the tranny to skip 3rd gear.

Is that sort of how yours acts? If you give it gas the engine will rev but the car doesn't accelerate, if you rev higher you feel a jerk and the car takes off but never really accelerates very fast.

If that's how it's acting then the tranny is slipping and probably needs more fluid or a rebuild. Don't drive it very much while it's acting that way or you'll burn the clutches and/or the bands which definitely means a rebuild.

When you pull the tranny dip-stick is the fluid red or a reddish brown/black?

Is there even fluid on the dipstick?

Wheelman

Yeah, this drivetrain is from a caprice. I dont believe that it was from a cop car because im pretty sure that they all came with those green radiator hoses and mine didnt. But as far as its acting it just seems that I can rev the engine but the car doesnt accelerate very much. I dont think I have gotten fast enough for it to even try to shift.

The fluid is red becuase when I was putting the engine it all leaked out so I had to replace it all, and there was some fluid on the dipstick before I tried driving it. When I checked it after I drove it it looked kind of frothy on the dipstick.

im dealing with that now in my 94 roadmaster. 2nd, 3rd and od are fine, but 1st is like putting your foot in pudding. 2 (likely) possibilities. clutch pack is going out-thats my problem, even though reverse is fine- or if you overheated the valve body could be stuck. more likely the first, though. hope this helps!

-ryan

Start out with 4, then start the engine and cycle the transmission though the gears, let it warm up, put it in park and check the level. If it's low add 1/2 quart, check again and repeat until its full. Cycle the gears each time to ensure the valve body passages all get filled.

I'm not sure about a 4L60E but the auto in my daughter's mustang ended up wanting about 6 quarts from totally empty.

Wheelman

What do you mean by the fluid looks "frothy"? Do you mean it has bubbles in it/foamy? Overfilling it can do that. Do like bart said and check your fluid with the car in Neutral and warmed up. You should be right in the middle of "hot" marking(anywhere in that marking is ok).

Are you sure all the plug wires are on the correct plugs?

It sounds like either several of the wires are on the wrong plug, baddly burned or not connected at all.

Are the plug wires new?

What about the plugs, have you pulled them to check condition and gap?

If they're new what plugs are you using?

I found 2 burned wires that caused a rough idle and slight vibration by turning off all the lights in the garage and looking for arcing. You'll see a nice blue electric arc if a wire is burned.

Wheelman

Guest Firebat

If you have the bosch plugs with 3 electrodes, then get rid of them, they aren't good. Get some NGK TR55's. Or get AC Delco Platinums if you want a little less power but don't want to change them for another 100,000 miles.

Having a bad map sensor will cause crazy things to happen like maybe a backfire. Also check out the map sensor connector, if its bad then replace it or tie a ziptie around it to secure it to the map sensor.

Spark plug wire diagram: http://shbox.com/1/opti.jpg

If you have the bosch plugs with 3 electrodes, then get rid of them, they aren't good.

AW GEEZE, that figures, I just bought those. Haven't fired the engine up yet but the boxes are long gone so taking them back is not an option. Why do you say they aren't any good? Not even for normal street use?

Guest Firebat
AW GEEZE, that figures, I just bought those. Haven't fired the engine up yet but the boxes are long gone so taking them back is not an option. Why do you say they aren't any good? Not even for normal street use?

Platinum is only for longevity not performance. Multiple electrodes is a marketting gimmick. They would probably be ok but they aren't worth the extra money. The ngk tr55's are copper and will wear down faster but give more power. The NGK's only cost a $1 or $2 a piece.

Platinum is only for longevity not performance. Multiple electrodes is a marketting gimmick. They would probably be ok but they aren't worth the extra money. The ngk tr55's are copper and will wear down faster but give more power. The NGK's only cost a $1 or $2 a piece.

Well, we'll see how it goes since I already have them, they were a bit more costly.