HybridZ

Removing curb rash from rims

not much you can do. if you can file it down without it greatly decreasing the strength and integrity of the rim, then go for it. but you would probsbly have to remove quite a bit of metal. are your rims painted? if so, file down that which protrudes from the surface of the rim, fill with JB weld, then paint over.

Check with a new car dealer. My BMW dealer has a guy the comes out 2 times a month and does repairs to both painted and polished. I sense he does a route thru the local dealers. I had one done and it cost $35.00 and looked great.

Without pictures, I can only guess your damage extent. But usually...if there is substantial alium. removed, Heliarc welding can backfill. Then you'll need to reshape with air and hand tools until proper. Next will be lots of reduction sanding up to 2500-3000 grit wet n dry sandpapers.

High speed directional polishing to finalize .

Best of luck, Vinny

I'm curious how much they quoted you. Did you bring the wheels in with you so they could give a accurate quote?

When I had the wheels done for my cars they quoted me $125 or $150 a wheel. That included repainting and polishing the lip. I only had pebble sized nicks here and there on the rims.

For major repairs I wouldn't hesitate going to them but, if you can find someone that will repair curb rash for cheap, fair price in the bay area let me know. Always good to have a few options. :wink:

I had 2 rims repaired on my 06 BMW...they are painted, not polished. The guy came to my house and charged me $120.00 to repair both. It took him about an hour and they look like new. One was not too bad, but one was pretty deep and ugly (my girlfriend sideswiped a curb...not good on an 18" wheel with 35 series tires). Overall, better than $1200 for two new wheels.