HybridZ

SHO V6 in a 240Z?

• Administrators
As in thats the engine we are talking about, there are alot of v6's that would be better then the sho in a z but he asked about the sho not the best. Know what I mean jonas?

I know this is going to sound like nit picking, but I don’t mean it that way. I’m just looking after you so you don’t get flamed… wink.gif

There are quite a few people on this forum that will take offense to someone stating that one engine is “best” or “better” than another, even within categories, styles, or types. (I think there is even a rule about that sort of talk on this forum).

Just keep in mind that words “best” and “better”, when used in conjunction with power plants on this ”HybridZ” forum is entirely and totally subjective, for any number of reasons, ie. power to weight ratio, exhaust note, packaging reasons, number of valves per HP, etc. . One guys idea of “best” is another guys interpretation of “junk” and vice versa. So as such, even though someone may not like another’s preference of power plant, they generally do not bad mouth that power plant here on Hybrid-Z, especially in a thread dedicated to that particular power plant. zitto.gif

Again, I’m not trying to be harsh, just looking after the padawan..

“May the Torque be with you young Padawan…”

Thanks Braap I know what your saying. I think everyone can agree on these forums that they enjoy a little uniqueness by swapping whatever engine into their Z. And the SHO engine at least has that going for it.

That being said I answered my own question about the automatic transmission and the Sho engine with a little searching on the SHO forum. It turns out you can use any auto tranny that came on a 3.0l Vulcan engine. But of course that will weigh a lot more than a t5. So I guess it will just depend on availability.

being a ford tech-sho was a killer engine.the rumors at ford tech schools were that the engine could run to 9 or 10,000 rpm no problem.my machinist has 1 in some kind of salt flat car making 500+ hp with lot of mods and a holley 1050 carb.the trans you needed was from a v6 aerostar-very rare van with 5 speed and v6.some of the newer rangers have 3.0 vulcan engine with a 5 speed but its a mazda trans.newer sho had a 3.4 v8-that would sound good reving up.if i didnt have so much invested in l28et motors i would be looking at something that likes to rev-the l28 doesnt have the cylinder head flow like a 4 valve motor.when you are on a curvy road playing sometimes a corner comes up and you dont have room for another gear-just more revs.

Yea ive heard about that salt flat car, n.a too thats crazy. I know that the aerostar bellhousing is hard to find but its not like they arent out there. Also if I cant find one I can always go automatic. My original plan was to make a v8 automatic but then I got taken by the SHO idea and thought I might as well save some weight with a manual if I can find the parts.

Yea ive heard about that salt flat car, n.a too thats crazy. I know that the aerostar bellhousing is hard to find but its not like they arent out there. Also if I cant find one I can always go automatic. My original plan was to make a v8 automatic but then I got taken by the SHO idea and thought I might as well save some weight with a manual if I can find the parts.

being a ford tech-sho was a killer engine.the rumors at ford tech schools were that the engine could run to 9 or 10,000 rpm no problem.
For the short time I had an '89 SHO (5spd), I spent a lot of time on the SHO forums. I think the general concensus is that they could rev to about 8600 RPM and making good power the whole way but the rev limiter was set to ~7200 RPM but the accessories couldn't take it. I crack up every time I think of exploding power steering pumps or a bolt of electricity shooting out the hood when the alternator overloads!

FYI - I think there's a video of a turbocharged SHO (yes, the Yami motor) running the quarter mile. Sounded like crap, IMO, and it only ran a low 13 but it was still pretty cool. I think it may have just been cobbled together and thrown out on the track. Who knows what it's doing now...

Yea SHOs suck in the quarter mile. Mostly because they are basically Ford Taurus's and they are FWD and FWD sucks. First of all its about impossible to hook up so your 60 foot time is crap. There are 500hp supercharged/turbo SHO's that are barely running 12s or low 13s. Which is why it would be awesome in a Z!:-D

• 2 months later...
Guest Radioswim
Yea SHOs suck in the quarter mile. Mostly because they are basically Ford Taurus's and they are FWD and FWD sucks. First of all its about impossible to hook up so your 60 foot time is crap. There are 500hp supercharged/turbo SHO's that are barely running 12s or low 13s. Which is why it would be awesome in a Z!:-D

I Agree, they are terrible at the 1/4 mile drag. I own a 3.2L SHO, moderately modified putting out roughly 290 WHP. The thing runs low 14s.

I get my ass kicked by a lot of fast cars. However, at a rolling 30mph race, I can beat a 05 Mustang GT pretty badly (my buddies).

Anyways, speaking engine swaps. I have heard rumors of a 3.0L SHO motor into a 89 MR2, twin turbo, looking at roughly 450 WHP, running just under 11 seconds. Ever since I heard of this swap, ive dreamed about owning such a car, Im a huge fan of the MR2s and also a huge fan of the SHO motors (Go yamaha!)

Funny thing is, I cant find a single picture/article/WORD on this engine swap. Although i have seen pictures and articles on dropping big ass V8s into the later model MR2s. So it seems possible. Anywho, that SHO-Z sounds like a great Idea. I would rather drop it into a 300ZX though. Peace Z loving people.! And have a great day!

I think the SHO engines are pretty darn cool.

and I wish rontyler would finish his SHO shopping cart! *shakes fist violently*

but besides that, the SHO is a pretty nice powerplant, lots of flow, and probably good for a zee. I don't see why not.

I mean, lets face it. If someone put a hayabusa engine with a turbo the size of a watermelon, it'd still be kinda cool in a zee.

Even the Jeep 4.0 litre is aight, considering the fact that i've replied to the thread regarding that engine in a semi-negative fashion (heard bad things). But either way, every engine is going to bring the question of "why?" into the equation.

And the answer to that equation is "why not?".

so get started on that sho-z already :D

Guest TeamNissan

I saw that same project not too long ago. I cant find it again either but it was really nice.

I would actually rather drop it in a 300zx as well. Would look mighty perdy in a s30 though no doubt about it.

What year Mustang? The V8 5.0, 4.6 or V6? Will the 6spd out of the Cobra or Mach1 work?

Look at this link. It is the best there is on swaping a SHO

http://members.cox.net/rdgrauman/Healey.html

I started a swap but gave up after all of the hassle I had with the wrecking yard. Got may money back and had a good learning experience. From looking back I would look for a V6 with an alumimum block to keep the weight down. The SHO is heavy with a CI block. It is also very tall and is not a small engine and fills the engine bay.

If anyone needs it I can send them the wiring diagram on the engine and a sheet showing what wires are needed.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest TrevJB

Could you please send the diagrams to me tbriault@trueproductionservices.com

regards

Trev:-P

Look at this link. It is the best there is on swaping a SHO

http://members.cox.net/rdgrauman/Healey.html

I started a swap but gave up after all of the hassle I had with the wrecking yard. Got may money back and had a good learning experience. From looking back I would look for a V6 with an alumimum block to keep the weight down. The SHO is heavy with a CI block. It is also very tall and is not a small engine and fills the engine bay.

If anyone needs it I can send them the wiring diagram on the engine and a sheet showing what wires are needed.