HybridZ

progess on my turbo V8 z

well i got the t4 flange that i had been waiting for today so i went ahead and fabbed up a bracket to hold the turbo. im looking good on space although it will be tight. tomarrow the tubing i ordered will be here and hopefully so will the ls1 flanges so i can start on the exhaust system.

498515616_374b96ba28.jpg

498502346_2675bb6b62.jpg

498502350_786e61bd0e.jpg

498558239_8b05ae4bc9.jpg

Guest 280ZForce

would it be easier to face the turbo 180*, so the inlet has more room for a filter and etc? then you can run the down pipe along the side of the fender wall by the header or you can dump it out the front?

just thinking out loud here, I've just always seen it done that way I think and most likely for a reason I would think.

I tried a number of configuration before I came to the conclusion that there was really no easy was out. Either way I set it up there will be some compromises. The problem with mounting it the other way is the steering shaft. Keep in mind the down pipe is 3.5 inches. Threes just no way to dodge both the motor mount and the steering shaft. But even on the other side there are some issues, mainly the starter. Luckily it wont be too difficult to run the pipe around that. So really it came down to running it the other way and using just a dump or running the pipe all the way to the tail which is what I preferred.

The turbo is a garret gt40 with the 82 mm wheel. I got it from a friend for about 300 because it was in bad need of a rebuild.

Jonus, part of the turbocharging a V8 is the bracketing to hold the turbo itself (no one thinks about this it seems) and proper positioning for clearance purposes. It looks as if you have taken into account both of these items and have dealt with it quite well. I'd love to see your headers once you are finished. Thanks for the update on your build--lookin' good.

Davy

Have you thought of using a motor plate mount for the engine? Check out this link........

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7019223#post7019223

The whole thread of this builup is interesting, I really like the way he is doing the exhaust, downpipe, etc.

The main pics you want to see are on page 8 of the thread, and are some of the last pics. Good luck on your Z.

First LS setup I have seen that got away with the Corvette alternator. Although looking closer it looks like that was a good bit of fabrication. You got that engine a good ways forward. I assume you are running an automatic.

How much clearance do you have for the radiator? Is there some type of cross piece between the rails where the radiator goes? I don't remember anything like that on my Z.

i was considering a plate type mount but im really not shooting for that much hp (only around 475-600 :wink: ). also im not a huge fan of solid mount engines.

i can see why you'd think thats a corvette bracket. it does look very similar. its acutally a truck bracked with the bottom hacked off and modified to put the alternator further out.

today the pipes i needed to move ahead came but still no ls1 flanges :( . i had some progress on the main pipes but not much. ill make sure to post pictures as soon as its finished or some showing the progress later.