HybridZ

De-ionized water as coolant?

I work at a lab where I have easy access to de-ionized water. I've read that de-ionized water is about the same as distilled water in terms of rust/buildup and extending life of the radiator. But can anyone figure if it might have any effect, one way or the other, on the heat transfer/cooling ability of the cooling system?

Here's some info I found on de-ionized water, but doesn't really answer anything directly about heat transfer except in fire extinguishing applications as a mist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionized_water

I am not sure about de-i water, but never use demineralized water. Demineralized water is unstable and will try to yank minerals out of anything it contacts. The result is corrosion. This is heresay from things I've heard in the chemical processing industry. (Disclaimer: I am not a chemist so make sure you check with one first).

My personal recomendation is that you go ahead and use distilled water in your cooling system, and use the DI water for cleaning your car rather than cooling it. Since the DI water has a propensity to become acidic (quote from Wikipedia "Deionized water will quickly acquire a pH when exposed to air. Carbon dioxide, present in the atmosphere, will dissolve in the water, introducing ions and giving an acidic pH of around 5.0.") it could cause serious damage to your coolant passages.

Dragonfly

We used deionized water in the nuclear plant I use to work in. The water running through the reactor had to be absolutely pure. Believe it or not at 500 degrees even exotic stainless alloys will rust so fast they practically dissolve if the water isn't absolutely pure.

The trouble with trying to use this stuff in a car is it won't stay deionized for long. In the nuc plant even a few tablespoons of salt was enough to contaminate a few thousand gallons of deionized water. Unless you maintain the proper chemistry your aluminium parts will oxidize like no tomorrow.

Plus, Z cars need antifreeze to lubricate the water pump.

And there is always the freeze potential.

nuculear. it's pronounced nuculear.

that's crazy, wood...

i'd say in the summer, you might try it just for shits and giggles, but not in a car you like a whole lot. what sort of lab do you work in? might be able to ask someone you work with about it? it doesn't seem to me that it would be all that different in cooling properties, but i've only taken a year of gen chem, so i'm no expert.

interesting idea man.

i'd say in the summer, you might try it just for shits and giggles, but not in a car you like a whole lot. what sort of lab do you work in? might be able to ask someone you work with about it? it doesn't seem to me that it would be all that different in cooling properties, but i've only taken a year of gen chem, so i'm no expert.

interesting idea man.

I work in a heart disease/blood testing lab, so no one there would have any idea how it would react in an automotive application. I normally just buy a large container of bottled water and mix it with antifreeze/coolant. I guess I can't really wrong with that, right?

lol all you guys talking about di water in all your high tech jobs is funny to me... im a window cleaner and i use it lol i have a mobile DI filtration system in the back of my work truck that i clean windows with... but here is the story you guys will like... once about 9 months ago my gfs neon blew a radiator hose and i came and fixed it but didnt have any distilled water.. so i pulled out the house from the back of the truck and filled up her radiator well needless to say 2 months ago i had to replace the radiator i dont know if that was the cause but i do know that the radiator held pressure with a tester and then 7 months later it had 2 really big holes in it right where the fins meet the end tanks... so you be the judge