HybridZ

Z unibody Chassis reinforcement

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I found this interesting Zee convertible website that may have been around for awhile. What I found interesting is the bracing to the chassis to reinforce the unibody for the convertible conversion that ties the firewall area to the rear section. Looks like a good application for a V8 powered Z www.famousexhaust.com/zspider.htm

Guest Skillet

Thank you for the link!! I am buying a welder and trying to get some lessons. This will come in handy. Thanks!

Chris Larson

Velo Rossa V8 Z

Guest Anonymous

I'll take one of each, nevermind, hold the convertable, I'll just take the other drop top. ;)

zcar-girl.jpg

Regards,

Lone

Ps: What I wouldn't give to see that rear view mirror during this shoot... ;)

Want more details. Who is going to order the kit then post detailed measurements and installation instructions?

The subframe connectors look somewhat like Pete Paraska's (but with 3 or 4 tabs to mount them to the underside of the Z). But not sure what is up with the longitudinal bar going across the back.

Yeah, that's pretty slick - adding the subframe connectors NEXT to the stock "frame rails". I might add some additional bracing to the existing engine frame rails to help stiffen things a bit. The firewall area needs all the help it can get.

Take a look at the top right photo on this page:

http://www.famousexhaust.com/zcar_kitmag_full33.jpg

You can see the "rear strut tower brace" in place. I looks like the top left picture on that page shows some tubing tieing the subframe connectors to this brace. That ought to do something for stiffness.

BTW, did you see these three http://www.famousexhaust.com/zcar-peir02.jpg

Oooh, I wish the photo were larger :D2thumbs.gif

I got the catalog and install manual from Hollywood Motorsports a few years ago. Its a gorgeous design. Only concern I had was there is no decklid opening. I have to ask how do you change a tail light bulb? Or get the spare tire out? Same as a '65 Corvette I guess, through the cockpit......

Guest Anonymous

Trevor ..... since you have the install manual and catalog is there some way you could post the information on the unibody reinforcements or send the information to a member who can post the info?????????

Trevor: Thanks for the measurements. What about the "installation instructions"?

BTW, where do you suppose the door lock button is in the picture? :eek:

Actually I would like to know more about the frame supports and the "longitudinal crossmember" (were talking the car this time). Looks like there are two cross bars in the picture. One is probably between the tops of the strut towers. The second connects to the back of the subframe connectors

zcar-seethru.jpg

I can kinda guess how the subframe connectors are configured, but the cross frame thing I need some more info for. Also what size channel is used etc. etc.

Trevor - I'll second Tomahawk's request and volunteer to post any useful information on my site. I am in the middle of planning/fabbing subframe connectors and would love to see this more closely.

• 1 year later...

A member named Dave has a directory with all kinds of subframe pictures

http://12.224.138.77:8884/Files/Datsun/Subframe/

Excellent site. If you look at the picture titled zcar-seethru.jpg it has the drawing of the subframe reenforcements for the convertible Z car kit. It was suppose to be a bolt in kit for their convertible, but they said it would be good for a V8Z.

zcar-seethru.jpg

Sorry. No pictures of the girl in the short skirt scratching her kootch on the door lock.

Guest Your Car is Slow

FrameRails3.jpg

just a quick question.

In this picture it shows his new framerails...Im just curious...did he hack out the original rails and replace them with these? or are these simply tube steel "cutouts" that were welded over/ontop of/around the stock rails??

Man I wish I took pictures of my frame when I did the 260. I put 2x3 box tube inside the rocker boxes and used 2" round tube to attach them to the outside of the TC mount. At the rear, I used 1x2 box to create a higher floor behind the seats. None of the original front "frame" is structural any longer. If someone is good with CAD maybe I could try to explain further and we could come up with a kit.

Joe