HybridZ

Car Cover Recommendations?

DavyZ

Guys,

I have been fighting with an old, tattered car cover that can no longer be called an actual "cover" anymore and I'm soooo sick of it. I have been looking on ebay thinking I'd get my best deal there and I have to say that there are a few that look good, but are they?

Have any of you purchased an ebay car cover? This could be for any car, not just a Datsun. I'm concerned that what I buy will be built on slick marketing more than on science, but I frankly don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a "real" car cover from one of the high end catalog sellers either.

Note: this is for the outdoors! The cover will keep tree sap from falling on the Z, so it will get plenty of use and not necessarily look good for long.

Davy

http://carcovers.com/ I purchased a cover for my zx from these people for $140.00. The quality and fitmet was very good. I have several other covers that I paid a lot more for and this one is just as good.

That would be the "Matrix" cover. I'm in need of something like the "Noah" which is $170+ shipping, etc. I know those are great covers and I think they are one of the outfits I mentioned earlier. I'm just cheap I suppose. I'm trying to get a top-of-the-line cover for less than the retail price.

I will email them, though!

Thanks,

Davy

I went to pep boys and bought one of their top notch covers ahhh.. well over a year ago and I havent had a SINGLE problem with it. It holds on in good wind, its thick, heavy blue material similar to the NISSAN 300ZX cover that my uncle has.. I am 110% satisfied with this purchase. I will go snap a pic and post it up here shortly, it fits like a DREAM with bumpers and airdam installed on a 2 seater 75 280Z. The ONLY problem is that the mirror covers are NOWEHERE near the right spot, and in my book that is a non-issue.

Resizeofidunno023.jpg

Resizeofidunno024.jpg

The rear quarter anel area looks a little bunched up, but it has held in some significant winds.. If I were to use a bungee cord in the middle I suspect it would hold much better.

One other drawback is that it only has one grommet on either side, right in the middle.... but as well as it holds I have never even bothered using THAT pair. I forget exactly which "size" I used but there were only a handful of sizes to choose from; and I believe that the Z (maybe it was a zx) WAS listed on the box and given a specific size to use; if not I used common sense. It was certainly under a hundred bucks, and no shipping.

The material is a LITTLE thinner than a top-notch cover, but I was given a Nissan branded 300ZX cover with two small tears in it and I gave that to my uncle because this one fit so well already. Minimal care not to rip it is all it takes to keep it well; I HAVE torn two or three small holes in mine and they show no signs of worsening.

I couldn't find it on pep boys' website, but it was the only blue one in the store

The cover looks pretty good, even though it might be for a longer car, like the ZX. I'm sick of the sagging look of my own "cover" and it blows off in the wind. I live near the Bay and it blows every night, despite the time of year. I gotta do something about it. At least yours was the right price! That's what I'm looking for...

Davy

BTW, Pop, that was tight...

Too bad you didn't save enough on the cover to afford a little air for those tires...

too bad, too many things to list. My Z has languished for almost three years because of too many other complications to list, not the least of which being three hurricanes. (One of them inadvertently led to it's demise in the first place.)

The tires were junk when I put them on anyhow; they're trailer tires (Goodyear Marathon series, big silly donuts.) I have a completely different set of wheels that will be going on it eventually.. but yes, I know; I need to fill them up. All I have at home is the 12volt cheapo inflator pump and I dont frequently park on that side of the house, sue me :flamedevi

I was at Costco yesterday and they had a nice 4 layer waterproof cover. It seems similar to the Noah cover and it comes with a nice strapping system to hold the cover in place in windy conditions. It came is several sizes and was only $30. I know what you are thinking, Must be a piece of Shixxxxt for only $30 but it is a high quality cover. It is comparable to the $125 cover I bought several years ago. I bought one in the medium size for my 510. On the way home I stopped by a friends shop (510 owner) and we tried it on his 510. It fit well and is so nice he says, "man, I need to get one of these." I let him have the one I bought and now I need to go back and buy another one before they run out. For that price, I may have to buy 2.

I was at Costco yesterday and they had a nice 4 layer waterproof cover. It seems similar to the Noah cover and it comes with a nice strapping system to hold the cover in place in windy conditions. It came is several sizes and was only $30.

Costco has surprised me on occasion, so I'm not too shocked about that. I don't think the cover will fit like a Z-specific cover, but if the strapping system is good...heck, $30 is cheap! I'll visit them this week. Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Davy

Thanks for the info, Scott.

OK, I came home and saw my ugly, tattered, stupid, POS "cover" slung over the side of the Z for the very last time (sorta). I got on ebay and ordered a cheap car cover from a seller with reasonable feedback. Description was of the cover was OK and is made by LeBra (of '70's fame). I know this cover will not be as good as a Noah cover, which I crave, but it's costing me $36 shipped, so succumbed to being cheap as heck. I'll have some wine and then verbally chastise myself for giving in. Seriously, a cover made from paper towels would be better at the moment; I just could not stand it any more.

Davy