HybridZ

Its Alive!!!! L26 9.2:1 open header video!!!

OlderThanMe

Guest 280ZForce

it's alive... looks good OTM... do the adjustments and get that b*tch on the road again and tear it up!

Gotta love open header!

loving all the wires just hanging out inside lol

What is cool is that I've never heard another L6 that sounded like mine. Sure it is normaly a 2.5" pipe and a turbo muffler but the motor is a hybrid between an L24, L26, and a bunch of L24e parts...

L24 pistons and main pully

L26 block

L26/L28 crank and rods

E88 stock head, valve springs, retainers

MN47 valves and cam

240Z roundtop carbs

prismatic black powdercoated block and valve cover

Mallory 6a ignition (as of today) MSD 5900 as a backup

mystery header...

oh and an 11lb flywheel and SPEC stage 2+ clutch... that is how it revs like it does...

What a mix of junk!!

It sounds good though!!!

The open wires in the engine bay are whats left of my old wiring harness...just there to have the motor running

I'll get a pic once it is done. It is going to ook CLEAN when it is done...

wednesday night (yes two days ago!)

b89081714.jpg

My maxima head that I am going to build (before I stripped and cleaned it, 210,000 miles!!)...

m89081513.jpg

my setback a couple days ago...

m89081353.jpg

This is also sort of an experiment to see if polishing the pistons will stop carbon from sticking to the piston.

If these pistons explode then so be it...I'll roll with the punches and start my turbo build...

Sounds mean OTM!

Did you check the position of your oil pump/distributor shaft? It should be clocked at 11:25 am/pm, not aligned with the distributor bolts. This would be slightly clockwise of the the line that the two distributor mounting bolts make. Can't wait to see it on the road.

Yeah trwebb that was my thought as well. Took me several builds to be able to get it done right the first time. I could always tell when I did not have it right as I would advance the dizzy so much I would have fire coming out of the intake horns. My guess is Chain is right and the oil pump shaft is one tooth off. Not at the 11:30 position.

Thanks for the help guys!

the oil pump/ distributor shaft was off by two teeth. Fixed now and the thing is running awesome!

I just need to get the exhaust remounted and it will be streetworthy!

Tomorrow I'll be having that done and I'll also probably be getting a supertrapp muffler to replace the gutted turbo muffler.

I gave it a good rev toay to about 6k and...IT IS A BEAST!!!

Can't wait until the end of the summer when I can put my MN47 head (maybe a huge cam regrind and shave the head a little? :-D) on there!

I just spent this morning at a muffler shop getting my exhaust remounted with a flange at the header. So now I have a driving video. It turned out that my SUs were way lean so I richened them up before said video. I could not get above around 3000 without it stumbling like crazy.

I still need to richen the SUs up some more to make it really smooth.

What is getting me is this backfire. It is loke a cannon goes off under decel. I think it is the same cylinder that is backfiring each time. You can see in my

that I had the same backfire but on a lesser extent.

It also puts out a big cloud of black smoke when it backfires so that tells me that there is unburnt fuel getting by somewhere. Makes me think something is up with my distributor. I have a dual pickup dizzy from a 280z (with a P79 head FWIW) from the junkyard (it was labeled as an 80zx?!?)

You can see what a lightweight (11 Lb.) flywheel will do for being able to rev fast.

;):icon6::mrgreen::flamedevi:burnout::twisted::trippen:

Video:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice... I ran mine to the muffler shop like that... It has a long duration cam and it has a more melodic sound with the open header. It sounded like a triplet of Big twin motorcycles at idle. It sounded more like a trombone on steriods at midrange part throttle. It was distorting my eardrums WOT @ 6K....

That is the idea. Full blackout. Thanks!

:-D

That is the one good road around my place.

I found it when I was delivering pizza in my Z since it was a shortcut with less traffic.

The car will be getting a complete makeover starting this summer.

I'm thinking I'll use a Z32 pearl white or VERY close to it.

the coachwork should be similar to the pixel car that I made(modified):

w91809041.png

Also I'll have a good little motor to go with the new body. :-D

~Dan~