HybridZ

Squeeking!! Help!

zeiss150

Ok my Z started squeeking about a week ago and its bugging the crap out of me. It is NOT the breaks! It only does it under acceleration and deceleration. basicly while the drive train is under load. If I put the clutch in the squeek goes away. Is it the tranny? or the differential? or maybe a U-joints? Nothing "feels" wrong. there is no shake or shimmy.

I have a 72 240Z with a stock differential (3:54 R180 I think) the Tranny is a 5 speed from a 80 ZX. I'm using the stock drive shaft and half shafts.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Matt-

RPM increase do not have an effect on the squeeking. It's not a belt issue. The squeeking is comming from the drive train. It is either comming from the tranny, u joints, or differential.

It only makes the squeeking noise when the car is under load. if I accelerat it squeeks or if I downshift (decelerate, i.e. engine braking).

If i put the clutch in the squeeking instantly stops. I don't believe that it is a wheel bearing because there is no squeeking if I just let the car roll with no engine power or braking.

It seems to only squeek with "load" on the drive train.

Any ideas?

Thanks Matt-

RPM increase do not have an effect on the squeeking.
If I understand this correctly, the squeak is only affected by the drivetrain being under load. It is NOT affected by the speed of the car, engine, or what gear you are in.

Assuming that's the case, I'd be looking at the non-moving parts of the drive train, such as tranny mounts, engine mounts, diff mounts, etc. The fact that the squeak doesn't change with speed makes me think it's not due to the usual obvious suspects. I'd put it up on stands and check that all the bolts are tight, such as the bell housing, mustache bar, etc. Lastly, I'd be looking for anything that has a recent shine to it :).

dry or broken universal joints will make squeking noises. Check all of the U-joints...

Try oiling them one at a time. You may have to really blast them with penetrating oil to get it under the seals..If the squeak stops then you have found the culprit.

please do not assume that the oil will fix the problem. The joints have gone bad if they are squeaking.. oil will stop the noise but it may rapidly accelerate the failure of the joint. It washes bits of broken metal back into the moving parts and then acts like cutting fluid. The joints will fail rapidly even if the oil stops the squeaks.

thanks for the input guys...

Yes I have the original 72 drive shaft with the "permanent" u-joints.

I'll check the u-joints.

How do you replace the permanent u joints? do you have to have a machine shop press them out? or am I going to need a new drive shaft?

What about the half shafts are thoes permanent also? What do I do about thoes?

Thanks again guys! Matt

I'm pretty sure that its the drive shaft U joints... How do I replace that? Anyone?
I found a shop that specializes in driveline repair and they pressed the old ones out and put the new ones in. Just a heads up: they used some "generic" joints and there was noticeable play on them. So they had to order some Spicers (I think that was the name) which were fine. Normally I like to do the work myself, but you're going to have to get it balanced anyway, so why not have them do it?

Also, I'm confused that you think it's the u-joints. In an earlier post you said that the squeak was not speed dependent. I can't imagine how a squeak from a u-joint WOULDN'T be speed dependent. But hey, if that fixes it, I've learned my "something new" for today :)

If I understand this correctly, the squeak is only affected by the drivetrain being under load. It is NOT affected by the speed of the car, engine, or what gear you are in.

Assuming that's the case, I'd be looking at the non-moving parts of the drive train, such as tranny mounts, engine mounts, diff mounts, etc. The fact that the squeak doesn't change with speed makes me think it's not due to the usual obvious suspects. I'd put it up on stands and check that all the bolts are tight, such as the bell housing, mustache bar, etc. Lastly, I'd be looking for anything that has a recent shine to it :).

+1 On this point, check the simple stuff. I had a problem almost exactly like you are describing, and I went nuts trying to make it a complicated problem, it turned out I just needed to replace a few worn-out bushings here and there. Hope this helps, and let us know when you find out what it is!