HybridZ

Bigger injector question

rich280zxt

Okay, I have an '83 280zxt. I want to run bigger injectors, low impedence GM O-ring 440 cc injectors.. For O-ring injectors I need to buy a fuel rail from pallnet and a Fuel Pressure Regulator, what else do I need? Whats involved in putting this fuel system together? And what do I need to watch out for. Any suggestions?

thanks

You'd need fuel lines to route to the AFPR. I'd think about going braided lines with 6AN or 8AN fittings. Also think about upgrading the fuel pump...you could get a Warlboro (same as Holley) for cheap that flows really good, or maybe go with a Bosch unit that fits a Porsche 944 turbo.

Also, a fuel pressure gauge would help to make sure you're regulating ~36-38 psi at idle. Not sure if you'd need new fuel injector clips or not.

What to watch out for? Don't overtighten the AN fittings. Measure twice, cut once! :)

HTH...

There is a thread or sticky that touches on the major details on swaps ect....

I just put 14mm GM 550cc on my set up, I bought a pallnet fuel rail and the injectors were $65 a pc.

I had to modify the injectors a slight bit to get them to go in but it was really easy, probably took about 10 min (every injector different). I was able to use the seal kit for 14mm from pallnet as well (square seals for the bottom just like stock) . I also had to buy 25c ea E clips (Ace Hardware) to keep the injectors from going to far into the rail.

Just order your rail way in advance and dont get your hopes up on it being shipped until he gives you a tracking #, even if he says he did. lol

I can post pics if it will help.

Yeah, if anyone has any pictures please post them. I found the 440 cc injectors on Arizonazcar.com, how much different are they from the 550 cc? Someone else I talked to said that 370 cc injectors were the most you could run on a stock ECU?

Chemicalblue

"Just order your rail way in advance and dont get your hopes up on it being shipped until he gives you a tracking #, even if he says he did. lol"

I have to admit that things are backed up here because if large orders and me working my steady day job as an automotive tech that pays the bills. Sometimes there's just not enough time in the day to do everything I have to do. In my defence, custom parts take time and everyone get's their rail.

I don't know why you have to get "E" clips to hold the injectors. There's an offset bore to where the injectors go in only one way and the plug clears the body of the rail. I test fit rails regularly to be sure things are still the same from rail to rail. Most people mod the 14mm injectors by changing the tips and they fit perfectly. I used to have a supplier for the tips a few years ago but they went under with hurricane Katrina. I have a possible new supplier for the tips, they will be on my site once I seal a deal.