HybridZ

? 4 people who have done V8 swaps smog legally?

I hope no one minds me asking this question but i would really like to know if it is possible to do a V8 engine swap on a 1976 280Z and have it done right to pass the referee for smog reasons. just wanted to get an idea if it is really a hastle on doing it or is it not that hard but really takes patientce. just wanted to get an idea from those who have done it already before i tackle it straight out. all advice would be gladley taken.

A lot depends on what your state laws are. In Texas I believe you are required to swap a newer engine with all of the smog equipment still intact. So say if I wanted to say I got it out of an 80's pu, I would need smog pump, egr, hot air riser, and cats. Actually if I were to put them in a '76 I wouldn't need cats because before 84 they don't require them here but you get the idea.

I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe that in CA you can only swap motor types that were offered originally for that model, ie you have a 6cyl mustang and want to put a v8 in it.

I would look into the kit car laws and see what they say about smog. You may even want to start by going to your local ref and picking his brain.

llave is right from my memory when i was in school in fremont... an instructor of mine informed us that you can only swap a stock offered engine into the car. the kit and hobby cars are the only post 74 bypasses that i can think of in california... i could remember this wrong as well, but last i checked smog legality on a registered street vehicle in california is pretty tough to bypass.

I hope no one minds me asking this question...

Actually we do. Go to the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) part of the forum and look up the first or second title referring to exactly what you are asking for. Please READ before you post.

Or you'll get banned and flamed, but not exactly in that order.

Davy

Locked!