HybridZ

Please point in right direction (motor Rebuild)

cpt jack

Hi all im going to be doing a basic motor rebuild the car is not my daily anymore it is going to be auto x'ed and maybe some other track events but i want to do the rebuild and want to know what are the main things that i need or that you guys recomend i get and do you know of any places that sell whole re build kits, and timing kits? and some things that i should thow in the build that would make the motor more dependable and more ready for auto x use? any help and advice on this subject would be great, im sure this has been covered but i would like to have a answer from people that know what there talking about and so im not confused... thanks again... and maybe a price break down if possable... jack

I guess I would be the first guy to tell you use the "search" button. You will also need to get a copy of "how to rebuilt nissan" "how to modify nissan" somewhere along those line. Those two book are like the bible of our car. But search will be a great start for you

OK, well did you check the two books i recommend you to get, I'll get the exact name for you when I have a chance, but one of the things that you need to do is change all the seals, timing chaing related, oil pumps, water pump, and there more. Basically I did was take everything apart(make sure you label it) and replace everything that it possible to be replace. Hope that helps.

well it depends. what class are you running in, this will limit your mods...sooo....if you were to do a basic rebuild then i'd get new rings, bearings, timing chain kit, all new seals, and have your block checked and also a valve job. courtesy nissan has some good nissan parts, there is motorsport auto, black dragon, the classifieds on this site can be helpful, and there are also lots of small sites dedicated to z products, and some good stuff on ebay too!

• Administrators
core plugs? are those freeze plugs? ive really never understood wht you needed to replace then... can someone explain?

Your killing me here Cpt Jack. pirate2.gif They are NOT freeze plugs!!! I repeat, NOT freeze plugs!!! noway.gif They are CORE PLUGS!!! Those plugs have absolutely NOTHING to do with freezing, and EVERYTHING to do with allowing the sand out of the block immediately after the casting process, hence the name Core plug. Another term often used for them is soft plug, but please do NOT call them freeze plugs!!!

Mumble grumble.. I know I’ve covered this at least 10 other times just in the last year on this forum.. mumble grumble.. . faint.gif

The reasoning behind replacing those core plugs is an effort to thoroughly clean out the coolant passage cavities, it is good idea to remove the CORE plugs prior the cleaning process. Also, most core plugs, especially the factory ones, are steel, and if the coolant maintenance was not kept up, those plugs rust and they will eventually rust through. For that reason alone, when an engine is rebuilt/overhauled, the core plugs should be replaced. They are quite inexpensive and easy to install.

Go through and read these threads about CORE plugs.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121062

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110406

Sweet thanks guys... yea so in my case just replace all seals and gaskets and new bearings and rings for the most part? and im set... im thinking of gettin my motor hot tanked as the head as well....

Id recommend not getting the Al. head hot tanked. I guess the hot tank eats away at the Al.

• Administrators
Id recommend not getting the Al. head hot tanked. I guess the hot tank eats away at the Al.

Jet washing is the preferred means for cleaning aluminum in automotive machine shops. Hot tanking is reserved for iron blocks and iron heads etc. In fact, some shops only use a jet washers due to DEQ disposal reasons. In design, Jet wash cabinets are an industrial version of your wife’s/moms dish washer, but much BETTER! Just let the shop know you want the engine and its parts cleaned, they WILL by default, use the appropriate means to clean the various parts. No need to remind them which process to use as you will only be insulting their intelligence.

BRAAP....i know you're stuck on calling them core plugs :wink:

but....

here in kennesaw last december it was below freezing overnight, and when i came over to my friends house with his wrecked but driveable 280ZX (poop brown SEZ car) we saw liquid on the ground (after it had warmed up)....

low and behold, we never put coolant in the block, just H2o, and two plugs poped out!!!!

we looked in the hole, and it was solid ice down there!

saved the block! we reinstalled them (same ones) with sealant, and crakend the car up....5 months, no leaks, and engine runs fine...

sooo... for the rest of my life, due to my experience, ill call them freeze plugs! agh!

• Administrators

It's all good Capt pirate2.gif

Bubbleguinea,

Just trying to help out those who want to know the proper terminology for the parts of their engine so when they are communicating with experts in the field of engine building, machining, and tuning, they wont sound so, "bubba shade tree".

Call them what you want, I guess.

The term freeze plug erroneously came about from that exact situation bubbleguinea described. By chance, sometimes those plugs will pop out if the water freezes, (shouldn’t be 100% water in the engine in the first place right?) but those plugs in NO way are the relief valve or a safety to keep the block and/or head from cracking. As water freezes, it expands in all directions regardless if there is path up or out, and as such, blocks and heads will crack, even if the core plugs do pop out. The plugs purpose is NOT relive pressure from freezing water due to lack of IMPROPER coolant maintenance on the owners behalf, and sometimes those plugs will pop out if it freezes, but more than likely the block is still cracked. Sometimes it cracks internally, sometimes externally, sometimes both. As a professional engine builder, I see this ALL the time, especially in spring time when new boat owners would bring in their engines that just one year old with cracked blocks, heads, and exhaust manifolds because they forget to winterize the engine after last summer.

Here is one such unlucky boat owners block. His head and exhaust manifolds were also busted.

freezebreak.jpg

• Administrators

low and behold, we never put coolant in the block, just H2o, and two plugs poped out!!!!

we looked in the hole, and it was solid ice down there!

saved the block! we reinstalled them (same ones) with sealant, and crakend the car up....5 months, no leaks, and engine runs fine...

No production engines are designed to run without some form of anti-freeze. As the name implies, one of anti-freezes' jobs is to keep from freezing. So... by that logic, "freeze plugs" are as useless as tits on a boar.

brrap.....

good point about water freezing in all directions...

i guess we were just really lucky that it poped the two plugs out....both on the passenger backside of the block....

we've never put antifreeze in the old ZX....its a piece of crap now, and its not worth it...its doesnt freeze that much down here in GA....

but my car, thats a different story :wink:

i guess maybe the term freeze plug just got coined from some lucky guy like me and thought that thats what they were supposed to do?

long live core plug!

I'll give you a good reason they are called CORE PLUGS and NOTHING ELSE!

When you assemble the forms (cores) for the engine block for casting, the water jackets need to be supported. The ONLY way to do this, is to have those round holes from the inner, hollow parts of the engine block to the outside portion of the sand casting making up the outer portion of the block.

You see these holes in sand castings with inner passages that are closed from the outside.

If they are Freeze Plugs please, oh please those of you calling them that, and using anecdotal stories to support that incorrect terminology....tell me why OH WHY did Nissan see fit to install one of those "FREEZE PLUGS" in the END OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD PLENUM WHICH ONLY EVER SEES AIR AND AIR ALONE?????

Could it be that the CORE of the plenum needed to be supported on BOTH ENDS---with one end being the T/B opening, and the CORE PLUG OPENING on the backside being the other?

Methinks so!

Game,

Set,

MATCH!

"CORE PLUGS"

Though I'm with BRAAP in the acceptance of "Welsh Plug, Soft Plug..." But never ever EVER "Freeze Plug"!