HybridZ

LT1 vs LS1

Guest corner27

This place has an excellent rep for selling motor/trans pull outs

They have a complete 95 impala SS pull out for under a grand

http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_LT1-and-LT4-Engines_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Looks like the price of LS1 motors have gone down a bit in the last year. The 2001/2002 motors are more desireable due to better intakes and block oiling. Corvette motors just cost more than the F body motor (don't know why). Manual trans pull outs are a good bit more than autos.

http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_LS1-LS6-LS2-Engines_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Prices on LS2 motors are such that you are probably better off buying a new crate motor.

my 240 weighs 2800 with a full roll cage, full tank gas and spare tire. i weighed an L26 fully dressed with a zx 5 speed vs the LS1 and t56. results are posted somewhere here on hybrid but the L26 is heavier than the LS and t56 outweighs the zx 5 speed. net result for my comparison-the LS/t56 combo weighs about 23 more pounds total, but as mentioned above, the weight is lower and more toward the middle of the car. when my car was weighed last week, it showed a 48f/52r bias!

The answer to the Optispark elimination is yes and no. There are two systems out there that eliminate the high voltage from the Optispark leaving the optical sensor to due its thing and this does seem to help in most cases. Each system will run you about $600 depending on the configuration. IF you have a bad Opti to start out with you will have to repair or replace it as both systems require a healthy Opti. The new Opti will cost about $250. Repairing a bad Opti is more trouble then it's worth and I'm not sure how you could bench test it. Removing and replacing an Opti is a PITA. The water pump and balancer both have to go to get that sucker out. I personally have never done it but others on this board have and I'm sure they can help you out if you need advice. LOT'S of people over the years have tried to eliminate the Opti and it is VERY hard to due as it provides both cam and crank signals to the PCM. It is an integral component to the LT1 engine and I think GM designed the engine around it. In my opinion it is the Achilles heel to an otherwise very good engine.

This is what I'm going to do and I have been thinking about this for some time. I am dumping the entire OEM computer and Optispark system and I'm going to use a MegasquirtII Computer and a FORD EDIS8 module which has 4 coils and a 36-1 crank wheel - very robust and very reliable. All the existing FI sensors and wiring on the engine can be used with the new MSII computer. I give up sequential FI and the MAF meter and use bank injection and a MAP sensor. Pros and Cons to both systems and I won't get into that. I'm building the computer myself and learning one heck of a lot about FI in the process. I figure about $500 (if you build it yourself) for the entire MSII system or about 2 Opti replacements. This is a true HybridZ project!

Danno74Z