HybridZ

Which front brake conversion kit to buy? I need you help / experiance!

Hi all,

Who better to turn to than my fellow brethern at Hybrid-Z.org...!!!

Brothers, I need your help in deciding on a front brake conversion kit for my 71 240Z. The car has a nice 350 in it with a t56 tranny, It will mostly be used for road racing, and street driving.

The current front brakes are bone stock, I have read many of the post about the differences betweem MMS / AZC / 4x4 set-ups, and must say I am torn between MMS / AZC.

However they both offer such nice kits, my goal is to swap over to a larger rotor (prob 12" aprox), do the 5 lug thing, and put coil overs on the front.

If you have installed and raced either of the MMS / AZC set-ups please give me your .02 cents!

I need to do this ASAP, got money set aside for this. You know how it goes, you save, you save, you save, then when it comes time to buy you just want to make sure you've bought the right stuff, and wont have any buyers remorse. {Worth mentioning, for what its worth} I happen to be an ex-machinest, and currently a mechanical design engineer, so Im looking for high quality parts, that will last. (sorry have to add that)

The other considerations I have been thinking about is the availability of the kit / parts. I know the AZC kit is in stock, and since they use Wilwood, they rotors / pads are easly had thu them or summit.

Any how, I'll shut up now guy's, thanks for listening to my rant, please chime in with your .02 cent's to help me make up my mind.

with a 350 in there, i would go with a vented 300ZX rotor/vented 4x4 caliper setup with a 15/16" master cylinder.

it's good if you don't want to shell out for the arizona z car/wilwood conversion, and it will still provide great stopping power.

i think you'd be able to find a rotor that's 5 lug, too.

i'm still in process of doing my 4x4 conversion, and i don't know EVERYTHING about the different setups that are out there, but i think that the vented front conversion should be sufficient for ya...

ive got the 4x4 s12w callipers (new, no pads), 300zx 5-lug hubs (reconditioned) and rotors (used) with new close to new wheel bearings. i also made some spacers that work to put the calliper centered over the rotor. check the link in my sig, youll find a "brakes" link somewhere in there. anyway, im willing to sell these now since i bought the arizona z car package. this might be just what youre looking for.

Guest iheartmyz

hi guys, i'm new to this forum. i was also interested in this brake conversion but i was wondering what springs/shocks do you guys use with this 4x4/300zx brake set up? will i still be able to use springs & shocks meant for a early 260z or some other sort?

If it's going to be on the track, go with the MM set up or the AZ brakes. The stock or 4x4 can be made to work but they require much more attention and maintence.

I've had the stock brakes and the 4x4 stuff on the track during open track days and neither would make it thru the weekend without new pads or a quick bleed.

This is in a car similar to yours. 240Z with a T56 and lt-1

For all four wheels the MM extreme package is about $1000 more than the AZC setup. Unless you have a dedicated all out race car that extra brake is not worth cost and unsprung weight.

My vote is AZC. Less cost, exelent machining tolerances, in stock, great performance, close to stock weight with common replacement parts as you mentioned.

My friend has a car with the four piston fronts and rears. The stopping performance awesome. More than enough brake for our 35 year old street/weekend warrior race cars. If you are ok with removing your parking brake this really is a great packaged system.

Brian

I run the equivalent of the AZC car setup in the front, and am very pleased with it. I run these with Z31 rear disc brakes and no proportioning valve (I probably should have one).

I have also run the 4x4 setup and it is fine for street use, but I would not do it again, as I occasionally autocross and road race.

MSA wants $600 for the base 4x4 kit, whereas AZC wants $789 for the Wilwood setup. I think the AZC kit is more cost-effective. Pad selections are unlimited, lightweight components, and monster rotors that are cheap to replace when they wear out.

For road racing a V8 Z I would not short change your self on brakes. You may have the car up to 120++ MPH and need to haul it down in an instant-- not a task that you can trust to OE brakes.

Guest iheartmyz

thanks for all the info! so let me get this right, if i go with the azc set up; i wont be able to keep my parking brakes? why?

you would use a lock-out valve for your parking brake, which is what i think proxlamus meant to say.

to engage you hold on the brake pedal while you close the lock out valve. you should run the line to the rear brakes thru the center of the car and have the lock out valve there. itll lock pressure to the rear brakes and act as your parking brake.

you may also want the proportioning valve for balancing pressure front to rear under active braking.

although ive never used my AZC brakes, i like the design and replacement options.. plus everything is beastly. my front pads are like an inch thick (6piston fronts).