HybridZ

Tuning Drive on the new MS-II (video)

cygnusx1

This is map revision number three and it's already running as well if not better than the factory ECU. It's not quite as fast yet but that will come with tuning. I have it pretty rich and I am pretty easy on the timing.

I am extremely impressed with how easy it was to get the car running and driving. I went from turing the key to the road in about 2-3 hours of careful tuning/setup. I even was able to tweak the warmup map this morning. I am VERY happy. The only gripe is that the BOV "whooses-gulps-whistles" alot. Sometimes when I am not really totally OFF the gas it blows off seemingly too soon. Other than that, I like the whoosh....it definitely scares animals and people. It's a Turbo XS recirc valve that is no longer being recirculated so it's basically an RFL without the velocity stack. I am going to try to tighten it down a bit and muffle it a little.

Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7863957486201502482 It doesn't look too fast but I might have been hitting 90 mph....about half way (1:20) through the video wink wink.

Longer Version-Better quality:

Nice work!

I have the same BOV, and it does the same thing as yours.

I'm trying to put a dyno day together on 6/9. Let me know if you want me to reserve you a spot.

Blew a couple pistons on my supercharged track car last week. It has MS and EDIS. I'm scrambling now to tear it down, and get it back together for the 9th so I can tune it. Now I wish it was street legal as I could tune it on the street (at least get it close).

Keep the videos coming. Nice job!

Thanks Pete but I will be traveling in the opposite direction from you at that time. I will definitely keep my eyes peeled for your next dyno day though. There is no way I am going to get peak performance and not kill the motor by trial and error anytime soon!

Good luck with the engine teardown/rebuild.

-Dave

Thanks guys.

Pete, I am thinking of putting some damping grease into the bore of the BOV to make it react a little less "nervous". I am not sure of any bad side effects of the grease. It's that ultra thick stuff that gets used on sway bar bushings. My only concerns would be that it would need to be cleaned out once and a while due to dust attraction. Also, would there be any BAD chemicals in the grease that might hurt the O2 sensor?

-Dave

I wouldn't use anything too thick. You want it to respond quickly when you are off the throttle. Mine has stuck a couple times in the past (last time at the convention track day at Watkins Glenn). After that I lubed it with some motorcycle chain lube, which is kind of sticky, but slippery (if that makes any sense). It has been working fine since. It does chatter when you are at partial throttle, and around atmospheric pressure.

Yeah the roads in my area are awesome Z roads. They wind all over the place and up and down. I went out tonight and REALLY appreciated the cars performance. A HUGE skunk jumped out in front of me about the size of a medium dog. I basically had about 1.5 car lengths at about 50 mph downhill to do something so I threshold braked and aimed for his tail. I felt the rear get light and knew that it was either steer back now or spin off into the trees. So I pitched it back the other way gently to keep the rear end behind the front, let off the wilwoods a bit, and just caught his tail with the air dam! Whew. All my work appreciated in one moment.

OK back on topic....I had a slight problem with the MS-II tonight. I went to start the car and the fuel pump didn't come on. I tried a few times and the fuel pump relay was not coming on. I assumed it was a fuse. I pulled the seat to check the circuits and everything was fine except that MS-II was not grounding the fuel pump relay....well actually I discovered that MS-II was not even powering up, even though it was getting 12 volts. I hooked up the laptop and bingo the MS-II turned on!? Everything was fine.

I remember reading somewhere that other people had this problem of MS-II not switching on unless it was connected to a laptop or the Megaview. Matt Cramer, can you shed some light on this?

moerex, I am using the stock zx regulator, bosch 42# ford injectors, idle fuel pressure is about 36-38psi. It idles at about 29Kpa of manifold vacuum.

My ReqFuel is set to 9.0, alternating, 2 squirts, idle VE is around 50.

My ReqFuel is set to 9.0, alternating, 2 squirts, idle VE is around 50.

Which injector drivers are driving injectors to what cylinders?

The MS not powering up without the laptop connected sounds like a grounding problem. Is the laptop running on batteries, or are you powering it from the car's battery?

Pete, I've got Matt Cramer working on my issue now about the powerup. I had the same symptoms on the bench. The MS-II does not like to boot up unless the Megaview or the Laptop is plugged into the output. The laptop is on battery, the Megaview is on the Main Relay. I bought MS-II pre assembled, added the 4bar dual MAP sensor, and did the jumper mods to run the 83ZXT distributor.

I am running injectors 1,2,3 on BANK1 and injectors 4,5,6 on BANK2. This is how it works out alternating the firing order.

FIRE: 1-5-3-6-2-4

BANK:1-2-1-2-1-2

• 2 weeks later...

I was not very happy with the way Google video processed my upload so I signed up for Youtube. Youtube did a much nicer job. Much better clarity and sound. Check it out. Note: I tied the light for the boost gauge directly to the fuel pump relay. This way I can always tell if the fuel pump relay is on or off.

Yeah the roads in my area are awesome Z roads. They wind all over the place and up and down. I went out tonight and REALLY appreciated the cars performance. A HUGE skunk jumped out in front of me about the size of a medium dog. I basically had about 1.5 car lengths at about 50 mph downhill to do something so I threshold braked and aimed for his tail. I felt the rear get light and knew that it was either steer back now or spin off into the trees. So I pitched it back the other way gently to keep the rear end behind the front, let off the wilwoods a bit, and just caught his tail with the air dam! Whew. All my work appreciated in one moment.

You know, I've come to believe that those damned things have no other purpose to get hit by cars and smell. I wish they would go extinct.