HybridZ

240Z Engine Mod Questions...

Guest andy.tech

Guest andy.tech

Hey Guys, I have a 1972 240Z, I don't know anything about these cars but I've been asking around and they told me to join this Forum cause you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable, I want to build this car up to be a fun daily driver, I wanted to build it with the Weber carb setup, and a nice cam but my question is what is the most I can squeeze out'a these engines while keeping it reliable (though i believe the inline 6 is a great engine)???

Guest andy.tech

Bless you thank you for not saying "search" cause I dunno maybe this is not my weekend or something but the articles that I've come across haven't been too helpful. Now an L28 is what comes in this 240Z? I'm not savey on the engine codes yet....

Well what I'd do is go to a junkyard and find a 2.8 liter block with flat-top pistons for $80 or whatever. That wil get you the biggest boost in available power. Then get your big cam and put it in there. That should be a fun DD. If you can just get the "C" camshaft out of a 260Z and use that. It is the biggest cam that was ever put into a production S30 series Z. I swapped out mine for a smaller cam and it is a noticeable how much less power I have. :-(

So does that mean that the 2.4 motor won't get to the 240hp that was mentioned before?

It has been done (Sunbelt, Robello), but not as cheap as easier mods mentioned, and not so much reliability (wound too tight)

What is that saying???

You can have it

1. Cheap

2. Fast

3. Reliable

Pick any two.

Guest andy.tech

Ok I was thinking of doing the usual raising the Compression ratio, Cams, porting and polishing matching the flow with the cams, How much reliable power should I expect outa this 2.4? Doing it right, now I'd be doing this myself so I'll be posting as may pictures as possible. Really I just want a fun car that is reliable and enjoyable but Maxed in power... I haven't had the pleasure of a straight six with Weber sidedrafts, so I'm itching to hear that awesome growl....

honestly, it will cost you WAY more to get decent HP out of a 2.4L than a 2.8L. to raise compression in a 2.4, you'll be looking at custom pistons. you'd have to have block out anyway, so why go through the $$ and hassle if you can pick up an L28.

L28s are simple swaps; just pull your old engine and replace it onto the L28. if you get an F54 block with flat pistons (not all of them have them) and then throw an earlier head (E88 from your 240, or E31, N42) you can easily and cheaply get 10.5:1 compression ratio. if you get the N42 you already have bigger valves, so no headwork needed. invest in a cam kit for around ~600, get a header and exhause and you're shining.

Guest andy.tech

I kinda wanted to keep it a 2.4 but i definitly know what you mean with swapping in the 2.8, are they hard to come by??

It wouldn't be that hard to raise compression in an L24...

First off what cylinder head do you have on your L24? The type is cast into the lower edge right next to the block right below where the mechanical fuel pump is and a bit behind. If you have an E88 then you want to change heads to raise compression. Second is to see if you have notches cut out in the tops of the cylinder bores for the larger valves. I thought that all 240s had uncut bores but I pulled an L24 apart the other day and it had cutouts for the larger valves. If that is the case then you can get the L6 early maxima gas head. It will bolt straight on and is about 6ccs smaller than your stock E88.

If you have an E31 head or have uncut bores then you that swap won't do much for you. I think you could use the NISMO .6mm head gasket to increase compression but you also have to buy their special pully.

Just some ideas...

OR... you could turbo your L24... That has been done before.

Guest andy.tech

I see why they told me to come to this forum, I like the suggestions, its good to have more than one choice, I welcome any and all suggestions.... Thanks!!!

^that's true, OTM; but couldn't these mods be done to an L28 with more drastic results? my reasoning is that it's cheaper to build an L28 than mod an L24 to get good grunt. not to mention the torque from that extra .4L!

Yes but if you want to see a little more grunt in over a weekend for a head swap then it may be worth it...

I would not want to do a whole motor rebuild just to have a little more fun...

An L24 is still a lot of fun guys...so is my L26...Just for until my turbo motor gets built...