HybridZ

Hi! Newbie here - pic inside!

Hello!

Looks like a great forum you have here. I look forward to hanging out and soaking in some wisdom.

A little about me: I drove my first Z about 12 years ago when I moved so SoCal to live with my Dad for 6 months. I ended up back in the Chicago area after that but couldn't ever get SoCal or that Z off of my mind. Well, I moved to the L.A. area in August of last year and bought my first Z(X) 2 weeks ago! I'm livin' the dream. :-D

Here's a pic:

zside0.jpg

She's rough on the eyes (that's her best side - headlight bezels are primer and there's a big primer spot on the rear D's side 1/4 panel - hood & roof are extremely faded).

BUT - I drove 4 Z's before buying her and she is in a different class mechanically than the others. PO installed a new suspension, lowered her an inch, & cared for the engine better than I could have hoped. The interior was replaced with original material about 4 years ago and looks brand new - It's red :mad: - that's the only drawback.

I'll be customizing her but I'm not sure to what extent. She'll be my daily driver and I had big plans before I came here - I'm amazed at how cool the earlier Z cars are that I'm considering getting one of those to really trick out.

I don't know what the future holds but I know that I LOVE driving this car and can't wait to start working on her!

Welcome to HybridZ!

Just search a lot and you won't get yelled at. :-)

Are you looking at doing an engine swap like a V8 or staying with an L6 engine?

ZXs can still look REALLY good with minimal work. Just smooth out a lot of the plastic panels and a good paint job!

Good luck!

~Dan~

Thanks guys.

Aziza - yours is one of the best looking Z's that I've seen. Gorgeous colour.

Welcome to HybridZ!

Just search a lot and you won't get yelled at. :-)

Are you looking at doing an engine swap like a V8 or staying with an L6 engine?

ZXs can still look REALLY good with minimal work. Just smooth out a lot of the plastic panels and a good paint job!

Good luck!

~Dan~

Yes, I'm familiar with searches - but I've never been bothered by newbs asking elementary questions on some other boards I frequest (mostly guitar related). The posts are what creates the community but somebody is inevitably going post the "here we go again!". To each his own. :-D

No plans for a V-8. The engine will be kept mostly stock. She's my daily driver & my work is 25 miles away. I'm not a mechanical whiz but I look forward to learning the general upkeep and how to perform body work.

Worst part right now is that we're renting an apartment & have no place to work on her. Hope to move into a house either this August or next so I'm sure it'll work out. Until then I'll be working on her in the parking lot unless I can find a garage to rent.

For the last couple of days I've been on here and then go out and tinker with car or go for a drive and then come back on the website and repeat the entire process. :lol:

Guest 280ZForce

Sweet, yet another So Cal member joining the troop. Welcome aboard and hope to see you around at some local meets... I'll keep you posted.

It's not that rough, I know some people with a lot more rough looking ones, but hey...atleast it drives right!

i must agree with everyone else. its not that rough for a car that is as old as a z. if the car was a cali car then the rust shouldnt be bad. i dont know if you have looked around for rust spots. when i got my car the frame was solid which came to me as a great surprise. also a few primer spots are not bad because when i got my zx the whole thing was about 12 different shades of primer gray. now it is one solid primer... all z's need is a little t.l.c. and theyre perfect. but welcome to the board and welcome to the z-world.

I have to say welcome to our world as well! I am a new member to the forum and i have recieved many great and inciteful ideas and knowledge i had never nknow about the Z. I love these cars and i recomemd them to anyone who wants a low to moderately priced hot rod that can get decent milage for a commuter car and still be a total kick in the pants!!! enjoy your ZX, and give it all the love you can afford.

I was practically born into my dad's 72 240Z, and the Z was an iconic car for my family.. but when my dad and my oldest brother both got 280ZXs within a year of each other, and both had the red interior, I actually grew to like it after some time. It was one of the things that set the car apart from the S30 model, and once I got over my initial "but, it isn't a Z!" phase the red interior was one of the things that drew me to the car.

That being said, I still prefer the black.. but I am saying that the red is something that you can get used to. Nice Z!

Yeah, I really do like the interior to a certain degree. I would love to paint the car in a black, gray/silver, neon green color scheme and the interior would have to be changed if I did that. But I'm also leaning towards a candy apple red so that I could keep the interior - or at least most of it.

But then again - finances may dictate that I paint it the same color.

In any case, here's some pics of the interior:

int2.jpg

int1.jpg

There's some fading on a few parts, but all of the fabric is in great condition. It's just soooooo red. Maybe a black dash and black center console just to break it up a bit.

She's in great shape and I shouldn't complain!!!

TO be honest, I hate the way red interior cars smell. Every car I've been in that has a red interior smells the same for some reason, and it's a unique smell compared to other cars. No worries though, what I would do it try to get a shift knob from a black interior car it's amazing how much a changed shift knob can do to the interior. I went from black to a red Nardi one, and I switch them off when I can.

Yeah, I really do like the interior to a certain degree. I would love to paint the car in a black, gray/silver, neon green color scheme and the interior would have to be changed if I did that. But I'm also leaning towards a candy apple red so that I could keep the interior - or at least most of it.

But then again - finances may dictate that I paint it the same color.

In any case, here's some pics of the interior:

There's some fading on a few parts, but all of the fabric is in great condition. It's just soooooo red. Maybe a black dash and black center console just to break it up a bit.

She's in great shape and I shouldn't complain!!!

Your Z looks sweet man,

I have an 82' 280zx that runs great! Reminds me a lot of your car when i first got it. Burgandy interior... plastic bumpers... After buying a parts car for 200$, replacing about a dozen pieces, and having it painted I ended up with this diamond :D

dastunclean.jpg

Anywho, welcome to the forums!

Welcome to HybridZ!

nice looking Z you got, looks clean and love the red interior :)

ok lets get down to business, forget about your engine, get the 5.0 mounts, find a nice 5.0 at the junkyard, get an eagle 331 stroker, AFR 185s, 51012 Lunati cam, TKO 500, 8.8 narrowed with 4.10 ratio and ........

"ALI.... SHUT UP''

what?? am i talking alot? LOOL :)

welcome again to HybridZ dude.

Sweet, yet another So Cal member joining the troop. Welcome aboard and hope to see you around at some local meets... I'll keep you posted.

It's not that rough, I know some people with a lot more rough looking ones, but hey...atleast it drives right!

lol yeah were all the nor cal? lol WELCOME TO HYBRID Z!!!! trust me u could have started with much less lol i got my Z for a dollar!!!!! enjoy your z i know u will :)

Again, thanks for the support. I'll definately be making some interior changes and some exterior changes and I look forward to hitting you all up for some occasional advice.

With little money to dedicate to the car for a few weeks I've been working on some small projects. Last weekend I cleaned the K&N air filter and hooked up some vacuum hoses in order to get the cruise control working. The cruise made the drive to work much nicer.

Next weekend I'll be replacing the 'shocks' in the rear hatch. After that I'm hoping that an air dam or body kit is in the near future.

All of the incredible Z's here are very inspirational. I've been spending all my time searching and reading past topics. Thanks again and know that I'll hold you all responsible for my next speeding ticket!