HybridZ

5-way adjustable tokico illuminas

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i was at ground controls website and it says that in order to put illuminas in the 240Z it requires shortening of the strut housing *easy intructions included* eep! anyone want to verify who has illuminas in their 240?

Guest Anonymous

I have Illumina's in stock length strut housings. I used 10" coils. MSA camber plates (which required turning the Illumina's on a lathe so the top of the strut would fit in the sperical bearings in the camber plates) If I remember correctly, the GC plates don't require that.

I'm not totally happy with the MSA plates. They adjust camber using bolt holts tapped into the plates every .75 inches or so rather than a "sliding" mount like GC. I bought them sight unseen (duh) which I will never do again (The car handles great but I may have some "plates" made and bolt the MSA's to them so I have finer adjustablility, and a cooler look!)

Anyway, maybe GC is recommending shorter coils which would mean you'd want to use shorter struts? Shortening struts isn't that big a deal, and when you jack up the car you wouldn't have the suspension sag that oem cars have... it'll look more like a race car (on jack stands...)! wahoo!

Lots of guys shorten the struts, so maybe someone will chime in regarding the differences.

Or you could get adjustable lower control arms and TC rods.

Hope this helps.

Jon

If you are going to retain a stock ride height then there is not much point in shortening the struts. But if a coil over adjustable ride height conversion is done, then it is best to shorten them so that there is sufficient suspension bump travel with a lowered ride height. The temptation to lower ride height when possible can be irrestible ;)

Guest Anonymous

That temptation to lower the car goes away in a hurry if you have a V8 in the car and are worried about your pan and transmission scraping. I dig low just fine, but I dig oil pressure too. I think I'll have to use a stock ride height and use some flares or something to give the impression of lowness without being in the weeds.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Mr. Big Business

I'm in the process of installing the exact same kit from Ground Control. So far I have both of the rear struts done, and I'm in the process of re-installing them on the car. (I'm held up waiting on parts for my rear disc conversion) If you have access to a welder (MIG or TIG) or have a shop locally that can competently weld, then sectioning the struts really won't be that hard. In all honesty, that was probably the easiest part of this whole suspension/brake project for me.

If your car is anything like mine, you'll have bigger issues with removing the rear strut pins, rounding off brake line fittings, and getting the stock bushing sleeves out. You ARE going to replace the bushings while you have everything apart, right? ;)

GC does include intructions on how to section the struts, but they (the instructions) aren't very good. The method they suggest for calculating how much to section out is good, but where they tell you to cut is less than optimal. You'll also need to figure out where to attach the lower 'mount' that the threaded sleeve will sit on, but if you go with the same specs as me, I'll be happy to share that info with you. smile.gif

Henry

here's a gratuitous pic of my install

1022444067.68.100.165.222.jpg

> I'm not totally happy with the MSA plates. They

> adjust camber using bolt holts tapped into the

> plates every .75 inches or so rather than

> a "sliding" mount like GC. I bought them sight

> unseen (duh) which I will never do again (The

> car handles great but I may have some "plates"

> made and bolt the MSA's to them so I have finer

> adjustablility, and a cooler look!)

Jon,

MSA sells our camber plates (EMI Racing) and you can get really fine and repeatable camber and caster adjustabily with them. Send me an e-mail off line and I'll help you out.

Just to let folks know...

It appears, from the photo on page 40 of the latest issue of Sport Z Magazine, that Jay at Ground Control is again copying and selling the EMI Racing camber plate as his own. We have a patent on that design and had sicked out attorney on Jay before. It looks like we're going to have to do it again.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by 260DET:

Lone, isn't it about time you got rid of those soft riding springs and put some sporting ride type springs in there tongue.gif Either that of fit a sumpguard smile.gif

I'll tell ya mate, thats not a bad idea. :D Yeah I need to fix it instead of complaining about it. I'm just real cheap, 400 in co's is kind pricey for me right now, what I'd like to find is a alternative spring the same diameter from a different car with more spring rate, as I don't need the clearance that coil overs provide at this time or height adjustment, once I get it where I want it, I'd never move it.

I want to look at a scrapheap and find a spring to do the job even if I have to cut it down slightly in height (which would raise the spring rate so I have to be careful not to get something to stiff to start with).

Anyone know the diameter of a stock late model mustang spring?

Regards,

Lone

Guest needwaymorespeed

John you gave any pics of youre camber plates?? whats the cost on them? is it cheaper to source from you or a vendor

thanks

Guest needwaymorespeed

John you have any pics of youre camber plates?? whats the cost on them? is it cheaper to source from you or a vendor

thanks

This is the only photo I have electronically. I guess we need to take some shots for the upcoming web site. On page 40 in the latest issue of Sport Z there's a picture of the GC copy. The only difference is the black anodizing on the GC copy. Ours is polished aluminum and has "EMI" and our patent number stamped on them.

10718717.jpg

John C, I believe I looked at your car at the MSA autocross not this year but last year, when it was at the Wild Rivers parking lot. I must have spent a cumulative couple of hours admiring your suspension setup. I too would like to compliment you on it all!

Them's my Penske 8760 triple adjustable shocks and the Hyperco 2.25" diameter springs. There's enough money in custom shock shafts, "special" strut tube engineering, and disgressive valving to buy yourself a nicely restored 240Z. It looks amazingly like a stock setup huh?