HybridZ

Getting Hot

I can't figure out why in the hell my L31 is getting hot and it is really starting to upset me. It all started when my fuse box got shorted out and burnt up my old electric fan, I replaced it with a higher CFM model from Perma-Cool, one of their High-Performance Aluminum fans 14" I believe. I had to mount the fan as a pusher instead of as a puller because of the intercooler tube that is right in the way of where it would fit. The car doesn't get hot right away but I can sit at the car at an idle and watch the gauge climb slowly but surely, I've never let it run long enough to see if it stops I always shut it off at about 215 to 220 for fear of blowing a head gasket. I just don't understand what would cause this considering that it ran fine before and now it gets hot. I have replaced the thermostat with another 160 degree one and made sure their is no play in the water pump shaft as well. I also replaced the year old anti-freeze with new and added more water (probably 20/80 anti-freeze/water) and a bottle of water wetter. The car has a stock radiator and water pump but they were always sufficient before. Anyway I really need some help as I use the car to get to work everyday and although I can get their no problem as long as traffic isn't too heavy I can't go much further.

Yeah it is, I flipped the blade and wired it backwards. I can stick my hand on the other side of the radiator and can feel it blowing though. I just noticed though that it appears that their is a cooler of some sort is mounted in front of the radiator it is not hooked up to anything and I have no idea what it could be for, I'm going to take it out and see if it helps.

I installed the same fan and as a pusher as well, once I had it running I noticed that a lot of the air was escaping through the space between the radiator and the radiator core support. If the same thing is happening with yours then sealing off that area would direct more air through the radiator instead of over or under it, cooling it more effectively.

In addition to what jdarkme wrote, I can think of a few things you may want to consider:

Is the new thermostat an after market, or Nissan? Nissan's are larger diameter (hence better flow).

Did your car have an air conditioner before you swapped your L31? That extra cooler may be for an AC unit. Is/was it an external oil cooler?

I am curious, how did you arrive at 20/80 glycol/H20 mix for coolant? The graphs that I have seen tell of the other way around would raise the boiling point. (taken from http://www.bmcoi.com/CatLit/Power/APPLICATION%20GUIDES/IND.%20&%20PET.%20A&I/PETROLEUM%20A&I%20GUIDE%20-%20LEBW1414.PDF, page 96, figure 7.10)

Coolant_thumb.jpg

I am curious, how did you arrive at 20/80 glycol/H20 mix for coolant? The graphs that I have seen tell of the other way around would raise the boiling point.

Ignoring the boiling point, water cools more effectively than antifreeze, so a 20/80 glycol/H20 mix will cool better than a 40/60 mix and so forth, I'm guessing that's why he's running that mix.

I think it may actually be for the AC I didn't think of that before,the oil cooler is actually tucked up inside the fender on the passengers side. I ran 20/80 because like spacecase said the bottle said to but I can't measure for crap so I guesstimat it is probabbly closer to 20/80. The thermostat in their now is a 4$ Stant piece because they didn't have 160 degree brass one at the time I am putting that on in later this week. I have got a scheme to mount the fan as a puller using some scrap steel and rerouting my intercooler tube higher so the thing will fit in the right place maybe that will help. Oh, when I took out the cooler I had the same problem as jdarkme way too much air escaping between the radiator support and the radiator itself.