HybridZ

2.9l motor

bluez

hello,i am building my motor and need a bit of help to start f54 block bored out with 89mm piston,240 rods apr bolts l28 crank knife edge with n42 head every thing is balance,the only problem cr is to low 9.2.the reason the piston sits .070"ths in the block so i wanted to shave .070"ths and shim up the towers plus i am running .520 lift 292 duration do you think its do able.thanks

i wanted to use the l28 crank and see what kind of power i could of build with the set up i have,but my math was wrong with the piston pin height beening that low in the block .077ths.my mind is just saying to shave the n42 head .070ths and use it that way.i dont know what problem i will have when it put together.

You are using flat top (no dish) 240SX pistons, right? Have you bored the block yet? Shave the head, and shim the towers. Use 0.015 shims. This should get you to 10:1, which is about as high as you should good for street engine using an N42 head.

http://goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=3499&SID=1001e7d6a592ea310ee4dbc6175737c3

hello,no i have not done the work yet but it in the shop i told them to put a hold on the motor for now until i can figure out what to do if i am going to use the pistons and it is the flat top 240sx piston.z-ya how much should i shave the head and should i use the 240sx pistons thanks.

Are you going forged pistons? You could get the Ross pistons from Summit. Custom pin heights, whatever you need, and they're $460 something for pistons, rings, and retainers. Then you could set your deck height at 0. The problem with shaving and shimming is the piston is still way down in the hole (unless you're talking about shaving the block). With the piston down in the hole like that the quench is lost, which is a problem when you're trying to run higher compression on pump gas.

Are you going forged pistons? You could get the Ross pistons from Summit. Custom pin heights, whatever you need, and they're $460 something for pistons, rings, and retainers. Then you could set your deck height at 0. The problem with shaving and shimming is the piston is still way down in the hole (unless you're talking about shaving the block). With the piston down in the hole like that the quench is lost, which is a problem when you're trying to run higher compression on pump gas.

Jon,

$460 for a set of 6 forged pistons? Are they 240SX pistons? Are you sure that price isn't for 4?

well guys you right about the piston siting down in the block,i would love to buy new piston but right now tight for cash,is it possible to shave the block

.020ths or i damaging the block by doing that.my take was to shave .050ths off the head and shave .020ths off the block so it would be a little better quench than just shaving the heads alone. i really need a solution.

Well tight for cash and knife edge crank are kinda incongruous statements. Do you already have the crank knife edged, or is that part of your plan? If that's part of the plan, save the money there and buy the right pistons. Or you could buy pistons from Arizona Z Car. They have pistons that are .040 over and fit an L28 crank and L24 rods.

well shop already crank knife edged balance with 240rods,with 240sx piston clutch, flywheel it all done,i just call the machine shop so they can put a hold on the bottom end until i figure out what to do.i call dave yesterday and ask about the forged piston does not have any,only stock flat tops with .040ths over size.maybe get some dish piston .040ths over size and shave them down to fit the 240 rods,i spoke to norm about this before cant remember how much to shave off.