HybridZ

$50 DIY paint job

ORANGEZ

Hey, thanks for the replies.

* Why Acetone instead of mineral spirits? Well, the consideration was that acetone should evaporate around 60x faster than mineral spirits. What I expected was that the acetone would thin the product and flash off quickly. According to the label, acetone, mineral spirits, and several other thinners are allowed. Do you usually use mineral spirits?

* Paint takes awhile to harden up. Well, thanks for that, it gives me "hope" that maybe it will still harden up! It has been around ten days now, though, so I'm not sure what more to expect.

Since this paint is supposed to dry from the inside out, I've considered wiping it down with mineral spirits just to keep the skin wet, to allow the inside to dry. I'm not sure this is a good idea, though. Any suggestion there?

* Sanding it down/removing the paint. Yuck. I was hoping I wouldn't hear that one.

There is no rush, so I think I'll wait at least a month or so before I do anything drastic. From other web sites, it looks like people "jokingly" suggest six months for drying time.

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mineral spirits is to thin the paint. you can thin the paint out enough to use it in a spray gun with excellent results too. For wetsanding, I'm a psycho and with things like this, I'd probably keep going PAST 1000 and go up to 2000 (I lap cpu IHS's, and go all the way up to COMPUTER PAPER as the final buffing/sanding)

you should get a polishing kit for your IHS's

wow.. haven't been here for awhile and this thread is still going?

you guys are too impatience. did you guys even read my post? if you follow what i did you would get same result... but you put in too much what others are saying (ie. acetone vs. mineral spirit, drying time, etc.)

why use acetone when mineral spirit works? it's been researched many time and found this is the BEST for the job.

why is it not hardening and yellowing? too thick. try thinning it down or wait til it dries then wet sand, let dry (from water) and re-apply. should be dry enough within 3-4 hrs. i just leave it overnight and work on it next day.

again, READ MY POST if you want good results. that piece i did took me almost a week working OUTSIDE a garden area.

• 6 months later...

Oh, btw... It's Rustoleum rattle can, no wetsanding, no orange peel, no runs.

3 coats of Flat Black, 3 coats of Pink, and 2 coats of Matte clear. Ran me about $75 between paint, tape, and other supplies.

Took me about 5 days, two of which were interrupted by rain, one by dime sized hail, had to rip open my drivers door to pull it into the garage less than 5 min after I had it 100% taped off.

Just a little info, you CAN clear tremclad (rustolium). I used OMNI MC270, cheap stuff, works great. If your gonna spray it, use lacquer thinner (mixture of acetone + a few other chemicals), its reduces dry time and I had no run with it. Acetone probably works the same too.

Wear respirator, chemical kind, they are cheap, get one.

If your gonna clear it, go on ebay and get some pearl pigments to mix with the clear!