HybridZ

Pre Preg carbon fiber

Guest TeamNissan

Guest TeamNissan

Anyone have a source for pre preg carbon fiber sheets? I have alot for reg cf sheets but I want to try pre preg. thnx

Guest TeamNissan

I Wish I had a autoclave lol, I have a vac set up though. Thats the experiment, to see if I can get some simple non structural things to work without one :-). Really hope so, I've read some yeses and some noes. Grassroots mag, ask.com, "working with composites" all say dif things.

Maybe its not worth it for parts where 100% even epoxy saturation isnt important?

I'm by no means an expert but, I've helped a good friend of mine fabricate CF parts for his 36' racing cat (sail boat). The specific parts are called dagger boards and see pretty high loads while under way. The dagger boards have survived over a couple of seasons of racing without failure. We used pre-preg and vacuum bagged the assemblies. We did not use or have access to an autoclave. I believe the autoclave provides quicker and better controlled curing, resulting in better integrity to the parts.......we had no access to an autoclave and couldn't have afforded it even if we did find one. However, it is important to achieve total saturation and the elimination of excess resin for a sound part. Just my 2 cents worth!

Tom

i Think Aegis cycles might be able to help,they are here in maine,i called once for the same reason.I cant remember if they were willing to sell theirs or gave me a source,either way i never did it.As far as i know it has to be kept frozen to prevent the epoxy from kicking,creates kind of a shipping issue.

• 2 weeks later...

If your going to use pre-preg for structural reasons it must be temperature cured under pressure. The heat can be any source as long as it is controllable for the proper ramp up and cure cycle. The pressure can also be from many sources. You mentioned vacuum bagging, probably the simplest and cheapest. You can also bladder mold with clam shell molds, Compression mold, or even shrink tape. If the parts are not going to be structural, I would stick to a wet lay-up

a company called JD Lincoln in Costa Mesa sells Prepreg in various forms

http://www.jdlincoln.com/default.htm