HybridZ

Opinions on the best Boost Controller!

The APEX-I AVC-R

This boost controller has the ability to control your boost per every 200 RPM increments AND (get this) per gear. I dont know about you but 20+ psi is a total waste in first and second gear in my car (even with sticky tires). I bought this controller and have yet to install it but plan to limit boost to 14-16 in first, to 17-19 in second and 23-25 in third and see if my Turbo is worth any more than 28 psi in 4th and 5th. This boost controller can tell you what your duty cycle is, tach, boost, and a ton of other functions.

You hook the EBC up to the tach and the speedo output and then program what gear your in and then it knows what boost you will be looking for in each gear.

Remember my toyota trans has a digital speed sensor on top of the speedo cable, this is what I plan to use. You might need to use the little ZX adapter wheel to get an electronic signal out of your speedo. IIRC this is a little short stub of speedo with a speedo output.

If that doesn't work you you can alway use a metal ring around the input shaft of the drive shaft. Hell some s13/14/15 diffs came with a speed sensor in the diff housing. There would be many ways to accomplish the speed trigger.

I want to know where I can buy just the solonoid unit from an Apex, greddy or Blitz (not in that particular order).

I don't need the controller since I plan on using a Wolf3D.

Doesn't the solonoid valve just take a voltage signal for the input? I read that these controllers are way better than the stock wastgate actuator since it will actually open up the wastegate at 7psi, not start opening it up around 5-6 psi.

I want to know where I can buy just the solonoid unit from an Apex, greddy or Blitz (not in that particular order).

Do a search on Ebay for a GM solenoid controller, they are crazy precise and the same type of thing and lots cheaper.

Doesn't the solonoid valve just take a voltage signal for the input? I read that these controllers are way better than the stock wastgate actuator since it will actually open up the wastegate at 7psi, not start opening it up around 5-6 psi.

A pressure regulator will do the exact same thing, or even a Manual boost controller

If you can find one...

HKS EVC EZ

It has a power button and a knob to increase and decrease boost.

It holds boost rock solid and high boost Supra folk swear by them . I have used a couple of them myself and have turned a couple of others onto them as well.

They can be found on Ebay occasionally for $150-$250

Regards, Mike

Ditto on the GM solenoid. You're looking for one from a Buick GN, Turbo TA, or Syclone - they aren't real expensive. They operate using a pulsed signal. If you want an even better solenoid AEM sells some for use with their EMS but I used the GM unit to 34PSI with no issues. Honestly I think the EMS controlling the boost is best - no temptation to get stupid and push the edge on low octane gas etc. The AEM allowed multiple levels of boost and a switched input could be used too. I hooked that to a pressure solenoid on the meth injection, when meth flowed and pressurized the line I got higher boost - an empty tank left me at low boost.

If you can find one...

HKS EVC EZ

It has a power button and a knob to increase and decrease boost.

It holds boost rock solid and high boost Supra folk swear by them . I have used a couple of them myself and have turned a couple of others onto them as well.

They can be found on Ebay occasionally for $150-$250

Regards, Mike

Just make sure it's the EZ. The EVC IV (is there a V?) has a boost limit due to the internal sensor it uses. I think it's a 2 or 2.5BAR sensor and while "smart" it's not good for high boost. Yeah, the Supra guys were the ons bitching about this :-)