HybridZ

Stock Z31 Turbos + LQ4

I'm currently dropping a Dry-Sumped LQ4 (Gen. III 6.0L) into my Z32. I'd like to twin turbo it before it hits the streets. I got to thinking that I need a cheap turbo to use to design and fab up the manifolds and such. I figured 1/2 of a 6.0L is 3.0L and as we all know the Z31 was a 3.0L single turbo.

My question is: could I use two of these Z31 turbos on my LQ4 for a while (year or two) until I get my new motor and better turbos? Would it work?

You could use them, shouldn't have any MAJOR problems, seems like a lot of work to setup for JY Z31 turbos. You might want to save up a little money and get properly sized turbo's for you current 6.0 even if you have to buy another set with your new motor. Will make running your current 6.0 much more fun for that 1-2 years. But thats just IMO... Good luck, get some pics and be sure to SHARE your progress.

Tyson

Also what are you using for exhaust manifolds?

You could use them, shouldn't have any MAJOR problems, seems like a lot of work to setup for JY Z31 turbos. You might want to save up a little money and get properly sized turbo's for you current 6.0 even if you have to buy another set with your new motor. Will make running your current 6.0 much more fun for that 1-2 years. But thats just IMO... Good luck, get some pics and be sure to SHARE your progress.

Tyson

Don't worry bro, Sharing is my middle name! I figure I'm gonna start a thread on the buildup in a week or so when I'll have a little more time off. I figure it'll be interesting for you guys and will keep me motivated! I really should buy some better turbos, I guess I'll look around a bit but those Z31's will be on the back of my mind... I'm not sure what kind of headers I'll be running right now, I've got some F-Body, GTO, and truck headers sitting around right now. I'm gonna see which ones will work best for what I wanna do. As far as Diesel turbos, I don't think that would work.:)

As far as Diesel turbos, I don't think that would work.:)

Why not? A lot of guys have been using Holset HX35's etc, on inline 6's with GREAT success. "Might" be a bit oversized for Twins on a V8, I highly recommend you pick up Corky Bells "maximum Boost" book, it'll give a very solid foundation for your build and what you need. I'm thinking of picking me up some 6.0 truck manifolds for shits and giggles to see if they'll fit. Good luck,

Tyson

Drop_Team_Z also start reading all the FAQ's on ls1tech.com Forced induction section. Especially since your looking at using the LQ4, they have a lot of basic general questions answered as well as a lot of experienced guys with turboing your same motor.

Tyson

I'm on the forum over there too as xXxSilveradoxXx, I have just touched the surface on the Forced Induction section over there. I have been working like crazy lately (put in a 15 1/5 hour day yesterday) I'll have to print out the whole FI FAQ section and read it at work!

• 2 months later...

Seems a bit odd to use a set of T3's on a 6.0 V8 but it would work...

Keep in mind though the Z31 turbo ran out of steam pretty easy, and as far as the 3.0 = 1x T3 isnt really the math its more in depth as car manufaturers never had a clue to begin with... Ive made a living for 8 years now off turbos and i expect to make a living off them for about 4 more years before i actually finish my degree in mehcanical science and design (in short ill be a machinist with a half ass engineering degree) turbos are strange machines they almost have souls and some like you more than others... Get to learn how to read a turbo map and base your decision off of that not off what "X" manufacturer did... Finally My oppinion for a small boost application you couldnt go wrong with twin GT30R's for a medium boost application get twin GT35R's and for the absolute power drop the twins and go with a Garrett PHX42

Check out www.cheapturbo.com (Also known as phoenix turbo)

The Later turbo is actually an NHRA legal turbo and can support around 850-1000HP...

Well since someone dug this one up and they're talking about using z31 turbos on a 6l engine I will say it's not a good idea and even Corky says that on the z31 they were not properly sized. They will hit boost immediately but not really build any power after the initial threshold. Corky says that's what most of the budget turbo cars do to sell cars. When the person first drives the car and barely steps on the throttle he will hit boost quickly and think there must be so much more to go but in reality the turbo was in its efficiency range when it first hit boost. If you use those turbos you will be overboosting and could be better off running less boost because the turbo will be close to its efficiency range. You want to match the turbos to the engine so that at half of its rpm range and max rpm you are still within a certain efficiency which I believe is above 70%. If someone doesn't correct me I will look it up. If you're not in this range you're making your turbo work outside of its designed boost and you will create more heat and push hotter air into your engine which will make less power and possibly cause detonation.

Well since someone dug this one up and they're talking about using z31 turbos on a 6l engine I will say it's not a good idea and even Corky says that on the z31 they were not properly sized. They will hit boost immediately but not really build any power after the initial threshold. Corky says that's what most of the budget turbo cars do to sell cars. When the person first drives the car and barely steps on the throttle he will hit boost quickly and think there must be so much more to go but in reality the turbo was in its efficiency range when it first hit boost. If you use those turbos you will be overboosting and could be better off running less boost because the turbo will be close to its efficiency range. You want to match the turbos to the engine so that at half of its rpm range and max rpm you are still within a certain efficiency which I believe is above 70%. If someone doesn't correct me I will look it up. If you're not in this range you're making your turbo work outside of its designed boost and you will create more heat and push hotter air into your engine which will make less power and possibly cause detonation.

I think i just said what you did in a more constructive way... And i dont mean that mean but it seems you posted what i did just in a negative way and a more mathmatical way... =)

Tyson

Here's a thought. If your stock cast iron exhaust manifolds are the same as my LM7 manifolds, you can just swap them front for back and mount your turbos on the stock flanges that are now up front and angled upward. At least that's the way they can be mounted on the head. I don't know if there is any clearance problems with valve covers or accessories.

g

g