HybridZ

sheet metal dash

gjc5500

I plan on making a sheetmetal racing dash this summer for my 240. The problem is that i have to be out with the old and in with the new in a weekend. I was wondering if anyone could give me the dimensions of their metal dash or even the stock dash.

Hmm... It is REALLY hard to do a dash from measurements. I pulled my dash out and spent about 6 hours figuring out how to mount my dash. Then I made a template out of cardboard and cut out the piece of aluminum.

This was the half dash that was in the the HybridZ Pinks "race car".

This is how I made the mounting tabs:

m31176627.jpg

Mounted by three tabs on top and then sandwiched above the steering column and it's mount.

m31568447.jpg

m31568469.jpg

I'm going to be working on a similar project myself. I was going to have a local sheet metal shop bend up a dash for me. I'll post a solid works file for you that you could have a dash made from. This will give you the dimensions necessary to make your own dash.

A good option if you want to get a aluminum dash to cut down would be to buy this prebent aluminum dash from JEGS:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_12942_-1

Regards,

Justin

Yea im planing on having the metal bent by my HS welding teacher and having my neighbor weld the end caps on it. i plan on getting MSD lazer gauges for it. tach, speedo,temp, oilpress/temp, ect... i also plan on using a nascar style ignition switch. just run the power to it through a relay and run that off my alarm just for safety.

• Administrators

My race car used to have a 1/3 style lightweight dash, I removed that lightweight version and installed a heavier versions using the frame/Skelton from a 240 dash, wrapped in non ferrous sheet metal painted with wrinkle paint, notched for the rollcage and tach.

CockpitMedium.jpg

Cockpit2Medium.jpg

Here is one good dimension:

The distance from the top of the steering column (in front of where it bolts to the bracket by 1.5") to the top level of the dash is 5.5"

That is with the face of the dash at a 90 degree angle to the steering column for better visibility than the pinks dash.

I made a full width version for my Z.

Here's that sheetmetal dash I was working on in solid works. I need to go measure my car tomorrow and get solid dimensions for the model. Once I have some good dimensions to work from I'll post the cad file for whoever wants it. I'm going to work on a sheet metal center piece to add.

dashwp1.jpg

Justin