HybridZ

my l28 N/A project

spacecase70

and now its back in the car and running!!! WOO HOO!!! i am happy to be able to drive it again, but... now i have a computer issue, when i go down a rough road the engine cuts out. i figured out it was the comp when i smacked it and the car ran fine, hmm i think i need to order the megasquirt to fix the issue!!! looking forward to building the comp! need to readjust the valves, they are a bit noisy than they used to be and i will fix that today, and it is really smoking now oh boy. looks like i may be pulling the engine again and doing a complete rebuild of the bottom end. i'll know after i do the compression check today.

I'll keep you guys posted

Man, that motor looks just like the 83 F54/P79 L28 I just installed in my 78 a few weeks back. I also want to go MS, and have found a few issues to deal with like a radiator pin hole, and a burnt fusible link, but it's all good.

Happy motoring !!!

unfortunately i am going to have to pull the engine again, and do the bottem end (cry)!! I am not wanting to do this after not haveing my car for a month but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do! i will keep you guys posted on the progress of my re rebuild only this time i will be alot more thorough

• 2 weeks later...

Search and you'll find lots of info. Search "MN47" and read all the turbo stickies in the Turbo/Supercharger forum and FAQs related to the subject of turbos as well. Once you have all of that under your belt you'll be back asking some more detailed questions.

I'll say this right off the bat; the MN47 head has a very small combustion chamber. If I were building a turbo motor I'd want a larger chamber so that I could up the boost more without detonating on pump gas. I'd shoot for a compression ratio around 8:1 or so. That's my take, but there is a debate to be had there and if you read you'll get all the angles on that topic as well as many others (fuel pump, injector size, turbo size, intercooler and plumbing, fuel management, etc etc).

• 3 weeks later...

I have been running it now for a month and no real problems at all to report! it runs cool(surprised in the desert), gets decent milage, and it uses about a quart of oil a week... the last is not good. but i dont have the funds to do the bottomend right now but i will get it done. I have decided to use my N42 head for the turbo build when i do it.

• 2 weeks later...

well it is back to the drawing board, i pulled my plugs and found some white and black crust on the plugs 1 3456, 2 was oil fouled with the crust too. hmm i am going to pull this and figure out what went wrong but i need some cash first. i am trying to get this car running for the msa show next year. hope to see you all there in the springof 08

• 5 weeks later...

i just found some F/G parts lying in the desert and couldn't believe it! it was a g-nose fenders and a hood cowl induction style going to repair the parts and install themright fender was broken into three pieces, and the left was originally a part of a wide body z. as was the g nose and hood. will post pics soon!

• 1 month later...

well, here's an update, the i28 is DEAD!!! broke a valve on the #2 cyl. the exhaust valve. so i pulled the l28 and turned my car into a 260Z but i still have my fuel injection operating on it! I had fun with drilling out the head and notching the ports for the injectors on an E88 head with a P30 block. I am still using the N42 intake and exhaust on it and unbelievably it pulls al the way to 6,000 with out running out of air! not bad for an engine that has been asleep for 22 years!!! ths is an engine that was rebuilt 22 years ago, was in a wreck, pulled, and left on the ground for the entire time out here in the desert! what a surprise that after fiddeling around with it and turning it about 200 times by hand, it started to come back. I only had 5 lbs of compression from turning it by hand, i had put PB B'laster in the cylinders and let that work its majik on the rings and pistons, and t did the trick! the sleeping beauty woke up with a sputter and a growl, then it roared!!!!!!!! i am so happy i danced a jig when it started with out help when it roared! YEE HAW!! i am a happy camper! btw guys, i could not have done this conversion with out your helpful knowledge and wisdom!

I will post some new pics with it installed, I forgot to take pics of the conversion, my bad but i hope you will forgive me, this is how i did the conversion on the E88 head... I put an old gasket on the head with the cutouts for the injectors and the other bolts for the N42 head, then i used a letter I drill bit to drill out the bolt holes for an 8mm x 1.25 tap. then i used a ferrous metal bit, because i didnt have a non ferrous, to augment the intake ports for the injectors at a 37degree angle to the valves. then bolted it al together and had a lot of patience. now i am Z-ing again!!!

till next time, BRAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...

well its been a long time since i have been reporting on my thread, the good news is the L26 is still running excellent! I just did an oil change and put in a new set of plugs( the engine is running perfect according to the plug reading) it is getting around 23-26 mpg hwy, and around 18 city. the five speed in it is just about done for, I have a 5 speed from an 81 maxima i am going to use. any ideas what the difference in gearings are? I have put on an old set of zx wheels from an 82 and they look ok on the z but till i find the right wheels-17 in. should be about right- I will be installing a new to the car 1.25 inch sway bar I found in an old z we are tearing apart due to massive amounts of rust! the car is done, but the parts are ok!