HybridZ

anyone mount a parachute on a 240z?

Our Bonneville car is a 280Z and has stopped countless runs from 170 mph+ with absolutely no distortion to anything...but that is a 'lift the car by the bumper' 280Z rear bumper!

For a 240, mounting a special set of brackets from the cage might be a way to go---seems that the rearend would be a bit low for my tastes...

I'll see if I can pick out some photos of the guy with the Twin Turbo SBC Hillborn Injected 240 and see if there are any good shots of his chute setup. He runs at El Mirage, car number 742. I think, now that I am thinking....car 286 has a chute too, I believe he's running a 380CID Chev in his chopped 240 as well.

Let me see what I can find.

Not the best photos of the #236 Car, but what I could find on short notice and not having access to my archived drive at home!

735451_154_full.jpg

735451_150_full.jpg

735451_151_full.jpg

This is after he got the thing painted---the earlier photos were from some time ago. I wonder what it would do in the wind tunnel...

You can see he's activated the chute in this photo, the black almost directly underneath the first red balloon behind the car is the chute just before deployment. Red Balloons are marking the end of the timing traps, and you shut down and pull your chute, and hang on!

735451_176_full.jpg

sparks280, mounting to the rearend could jerk your rear out of adjustment.

Some shackle bolt failures, or some spherical joints being loaded backwards and at enough speed, I could see the rear axle stopping....while the car continued for quite a distance after deployment...

Having been in a vehicle that experienced a leaf spring failure under load....I would not consider the pumpkin a place to mount significant arresting force. Note the differential pictured is not the typical setup as there are rods for compression against the rear of the chassis---most differentials are mounted front-to-back with the compression members for under loading frrom acceleration---this one has extra rods to counteract compression under arresting force. At most, people run a panhard bar across the rear of the axle, and I've seen those bend quite abit when something let loose and the axle started walking around on it's own.

I believe the 236 car has the pushbar (where it appears his chute is attached, or close by) integrated into his cage. I didn't post the interior photos of the car on Cardomain...I will have to see where they a re archived and see if I took specific photos of the Chute Mount. Cage or Frame would be my first choice.

sparks280, mounting to the rearend could jerk your rear out of adjustment.

As i said its not my car, just pics of a car I took for a member on here. Just throwin it out there. That car was running 7s in the quarters for years according to the owner with no problems.