HybridZ

Purely talk, but, u want R160 auto locker?

Guest Phizinza

Guest Phizinza

I am talking to an Australian company about going into production of R160 auto lockers for mainly old 4WD Subaru's. But, I figure since yous guys use R160's as well and you've been such a help to me in the past maybe I could convince the company that they have a world wide market for this differential not only in 4WD vehicles.

So who would be interested in a locker for a 240z?

Phiz!! Great to see you over here! Even though the R200 is a bit beefier than our soobs strictly NEED, it might still be attractive to the guys who want to run 'em in RWD only; and using the Z community to help get together a group buy to drive down prices might be worth it.

Guest Phizinza

A Lokka/Powertrax auto locker style. I thought also that not many would be interested in a R160 as they are small. I'm running AWD in my Subaru Brat so I don't need a big rear diff.

I have been looking at putting either the R180 or R200 in the back of a Subaru but at the moment fitting the driveshafts (not the propshaft, the halfshafts, knwo what I mean?) is the major problem. All Subaru's use splined driveshafts so you can't just bolt the R200 shafts into place :(

I believe there is already an auto locker company that sells the R200 locker, and ARB sell both R180 and R200 air lockers.

Worth a try :)

Sorry for being dense, but I'm not familiar with the term "auto locker". Do you mean a Lock-Right or No Slip like this: http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/powertrax_tj/index.htm

I always called those "lunchbox lockers". That basically functions like a Detroit locker, but isn't as strong. I wonder how that would hold up to the V8 guys who drag race on slicks...

ARB would be a great idea for drag racers, I didn't realize they made them for R180s and R200s. Drive to the track open, hit the button, do your runs, then hit it again and unlock for driving home on the street. Maybe I'll add that to my diff FAQ. I'm sure a lot of guys would want it if they knew it was an option.

Guest Phizinza

Yes, that's what we call auto locker in the offroad community. They aren't as strong as air lockers and the more advanced detroit lockers (not the standard one.) But they are strong enough to use in rock crawling. Which some of those crawlers use 8 to 1 reduction transfer cases and 40" OD tires. All powered by big sixes or eights. Still, the shock of drag racing is another thing altogether. Big enough diff and you'd be alright I guess.