HybridZ

turbodiesel L6 build ideas.

OlderThanMe

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you recall one of the early Datsun Tuning books had an LD28 in a 280Z with a turbo on it, giving comparable gasoline engined performance.

It's doable. I know Keith Bailey's LD28 Powered 240 got 40+ mpg at 80+ mph average speed, and would do 112mph.

The RPM redline on the LD28 isn't as low as you would think, close to 5000 I think---good enough for 125mph with a late ZX Tranny and 3.70 gears (4750 rpm top end speed like my wife's 260)...

For the effort, as a daily commuter it might be an interseting project. What the hell 'because I could' has always been enough justification for me to do something automotive related.

Free T-Shirt and a Feed will get me to drive ridiculous distances and expend no ammount of effort for that meager reward! Skipped work and spent all day in the Bren Center for a T-Shirt, Cold Hot Dog, and a miniature dixie cup of warm Pepsi...

I may be disturbed...LOL

If I can dig up a second head and find a way to ship them without bankrupting me I'll take Paul up on his offer. Not that I'm going to run out and build a diesel right now but having the head ready to go would be nice, especially if its going to take a while to get done. Besides, my car still needs a lot of work before I drop a high power engine in it.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 years later...