HybridZ

ZX hatch glass removal?

Hey guys, I know I haven't really talked about it much but, I'm the process of painting my ZX much like 80LT1 just did. Anyway, I'm taking it down to the metal and I can't seem to get it done near the rear hatch glass. So I guess I need to know how to remove the rear glass without breaking it. I already have the rest of the glass out and this is the last piece that needs to be removed.

I searched and didn't find any info about how to remove the glass in the ZX. As far as I know you can just push it out carefully. Is this true? Any hints or tricks?

Thanks,

Cody

Cut the seal. That's what I did to get it out. You can get a new hatch seal for $90 from Black Dragon. There was no way I was going to be able to get that glass out with out just cutting the seal. The old seal was just too hard and wouldn't flex enough to allow me to remove the window.

Guy

Cut the seal. That's what I did to get it out. You can get a new hatch seal for $90 from Black Dragon. There was no way I was going to be able to get that glass out with out just cutting the seal. The old seal was just too hard and wouldn't flex enough to allow me to remove the window.

Guy

Thanks for the info. I was afraid you were going to say that. Looks like I'm going to have a small fortune in seals and such things when it comes time for reassembly.

On a side note I drove the car around the block without the windsheild or the hatch on and Wow the wind really moves you. Must be what it feels like on on a bike.

Use a long bladed thin flexible serrated kitchen knife (don't tell the wife/girlfriend) and slide it in the accessible area of the glass (from the inside as I recall) and "saw" that seal over about one side of the glass(one side)--then gradually strart to put some prying force on the glass in the area of the cut seal area--not so much that you risk breaking the glass---- with some pressure and time the remaining seal will start streching and releasing and you can then more easily finish sawing/cutting the seal--this takes about 15 minutes a side to do---the seal is some kind of heavy super sticky tar that can never be reused--after the glass comes off you can finish snapping this stuck-on remaining tar off much like removing sticky/hardened gum--then when you get 90% of it off use some disc brake cleaner or carb cleaner on a rag to finish dissolving the remaing stuck on black glue. For reinstallation, I recommend using a uniform and fairly wide bead of black silcone rubber(RTV), applied 360 degrees around the glass seal area, and then press /position glass until it sets up--have fun!