HybridZ

Head light question (HID

EvilC

Ok I am looking to get some head lights for the 240 and have a few questions. I have searched but this is for people who have done what I think I can do. Will these lights work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-Projector-Headlight-Kit_W0QQitemZ330143977166QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem with a complete HID setup from a Lexus 300rx? I fig since these head lights are setup for "projection" I can stick the real HID's in there and figure a way to seal it up....also I figure these head lights will help me from not blinding on coming traffic. I do like the city lights in these head light units. Any help would help a lot...thanks

???? Finish please...You haven't asked a question at all.

Right here......

Will these lights work http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...QQcmdZViewItem with a complete HID setup from a Lexsus 300rx?

Basically I wanted to know if anyway has taken these H4 lights from Ebay and stick real HID's in them and will it be safe....I am sure that was pretty clear from my post.

Right here......

Basically I wanted to know if anyway has taken these H4 lights from Ebay and stick real HID's in them and will it be safe....I am sure that was pretty clear from my post.

Number one, thanks for updating your initial post because when it first popped up it wasn't complete yet.

Second, no they won't work as they're not proper HID projectors. They're cheap reproductions using halogen bulbs to make them appear to be HID.

go check out www.hidplanet.com and read untill your eyes bleed :) its a pretty knowlagable, tight run, forum much like ours.

I agree. hidplanet has some awesome info on retrofitting OEM projectors into your headlights. There's actually someone here that is retrofitting some projectors into the headlights I think it was 81lst?? He was doing a good job so far I want to see how much further he's gotten to now.

how would these lenses (w/ H4's) compare with regular lenses with H4's?

Thanks

Jon

Generally, they aren't up to par. Most of them (not all) aren't tempered glass. So eventually they will crack. I mean couple months of use. The close proximity light dispersion is good, but anything over 15-20 feet would need aux lights.

EvilC those are not real projectors and they are actually piles of crap, ask me how I know...LOL. I bought them with the intent to do the same thing and then realized what POS's they were. Then I found HIDPLANET and learned about real projectors. I know have FX35 Bi-Xenon projectors in custom built projector holders. I never finished my original post of how it turn out but they actually turned out pretty good. I'll try to post some pics this weekend for you. I have to wire them up anyways this weekend so I'll do it then!

Guy

Thanks Guy, it will help lots. I almost bought them lights....guess not HID's for now cause I can't spend the money on real projectors now.

Well I did buy them and I actually used the back of them to make my housings so I got my $25.00 out of them I guess! LOL. I have an extra set of FX35 Bi-Xenon projectors that I'll let got for what I paid for them($65.00 shipped). You would just need the bulb, ignitor, and ballist. Now I have about $125 in my set up because I am using the bulb, ignitor, and ballist out of a set of 350Z headlights because I got them free from work(warrenty return that didnt get called back to Nissan!). If you look on HIDPlanet.com you should be able to piece together a really nice set up for a decent price. I would think you could do the whole set up for $250 or less if you make the housings for the projectors like I did. You'll see what I mean when I post some pics later(you should be able to find some pics of how I started this project by searching the body forum).

Guy

Well I did buy them and I actually used the back of them to make my housings so I got my $25.00 out of them I guess! LOL. I have an extra set of FX35 Bi-Xenon projectors that I'll let got for what I paid for them($65.00 shipped). You would just need the bulb, ignitor, and ballist. Now I have about $125 in my set up because I am using the bulb, ignitor, and ballist out of a set of 350Z headlights because I got them free from work(warrenty return that didnt get called back to Nissan!). If you look on HIDPlanet.com you should be able to piece together a really nice set up for a decent price. I would think you could do the whole set up for $250 or less if you make the housings for the projectors like I did. You'll see what I mean when I post some pics later(you should be able to find some pics of how I started this project by searching the body forum).

Guy

lol I was close. 80LT1....80LS1 ehh close enough. Post up some pics bro I want to see how you did it.

Ok here's some pics of the finished product...

housing.JPG

This is the housing I made out of a PCV endcap and made a fiberglass top to go on it and then siliconed it on. This holds the ballist and keeps it from getting wet. Its just bolted to the inner fender behind the headlights.

HID_on_cutoff.JPG

Here's the cutoff of the passenger side(don't have the drivers side wired in yet)

HID_in_on.JPG

HID_in.JPG

I forgot to take a pic of the back of the housing I made. Basically I took those cheap ass headlights you found on ebay and took(broke) the glass out of them, cut the backs off so the FX35 projector housing would fit in it, layed fiberglass on the top part of the ebay housing and then cut a hold through the middle of the fiberglass so that the projector lens would go through the back of it. Then I just fiberglassed the projector housing onto the ebay housing piece. To keep the water off the ignitior I covered it with some thin rubber and ziptied it to the projector housing. I don't think they are water proof but they are water resistant(I won't be driving in the rain if I can help it and I wash my car by hand so hopefully it wont be an issue).

Hope that helps some...

Guy