HybridZ

Lets talk about roofs

nitsuj

So, I'm sirfing the Z forums. Not looking for anything in particular, just sort of surfing taking it all in. I notice that from time to time, I see people who have done convertibles. Good concept, but I don't like how it looks. No offense to those that have done it, it just doesn't fit my tastes. I like the shape of the Z. The convertible changes the lines too much, IMHO. Again, no offense to those of you who did it, just my tastes.

Anyhow, I do like the concept. I'm a motorcyclist, so anything to get me in the open air when I have to drive the cage is all good with me. I like convertibles and I like T-tops. Even a moonroof, if thats all that available.

I told you all that, to ask you this. How come I see convertible projects being done, but not T-Tops in cars that don't come with them? Or, better yet, why no removable hard tops? If you could just remove the roof panel, you'd be in the open air, but retain the hatchback shape we all love. My dad has a late 80's Vette with a removable top, I really like the feature.

So, why don't I see these being done? Or are they out there and I just haven't found any yet?

Well the roof is a part of the frame. That is why most people have one or another.

You need to do some sort of extra reinforcement to keep the frame from flexing without the strength of the roof.

I have been thinking of doing a Targa style top with my Z like one of the Z prototypes.

OTM/Dan

I have been thinking of doing a Targa style top with my Z like one of the Z prototypes.

OTM/Dan

I was talking with my Dad a couple days ago about doing this to one of my 240's. Except mine was going to be sort of a roadster in that the roof would be permanently gone, not removable. What reinforcement would be needed to support the missing roof b/c I'd really like to do this.

If I were to do a roadster Z I'd delete the doors alltogether (weld them shut) and use a removable steering wheel...

That is just me though.

Think about it, with the roof gone the only thing holding your z from bending in half is the rockers and tranny tunnel...

I have heard about doing a tubular reinforcement inside the rocker panels... or even better would be some door bars.

With a roadster you don't have to worry about hitting the roof with your head so door bars should not be a big problem.

You could convert to a zx type window with no frame surrounding the window. I have seen it done one time on an early Z and it was clean!

You could also put zx t-tops on a first gen Z.

You could also do some half-doors like on the old european race cars of the 50's. Just cut the door in half horizontally and weld the bottom half to hold the brace and use the top half as the door. This would restrict what you could do for a window though.

Still pretty cool.

Oops, what I meant was that I would be cutting the roof and losing the window frames and door windows all together. Regardless I like the half door idea. hmm... time to get drawing lol. I'll post it up in your ideas/sketches thread when I'm done if you want

As usual, you guys have given me a lot to think about. I never thought about the lack of a sturdy frame under the car. I guess thats what separates my Z from my Dads vette, the frame. With this roof removed, his car can still remain rigid, where on the Z, the car would get flimsy.

You guys are so smart!

That second picture looks really good! I probably wouldnt weld the doors shut but you could put a bar from the middle of the door to the front of the rear part of the roof, for strength. Im not sure how much youd need to beef it up but if you look at the weight differences from a convertible and its hardtop sibling (same car) the weight difference is quite a bit. (alot of strengthening)

targachop.JPG

Crappy ms paint chop but.....

i thought it needed a chopped roof/windshield too... for a slow slung look

i don't know how practical it would be for anyone over 6 foot though since you'd be looking out above the windshield probably

Kevin