HybridZ

EFI Relay Clicking

tech9

I found out today that my EFI relay is clicking while idle. I'm sure this is not normal right? Maybe this is the cause of my problems.

If you push on the gas at all, the clicking stops, or seems to. The car idle is fine, but once you give it any gas it acts like its starving for fuel (we think that is the problem) does this sound right? Maybe the relay isn't doing its job?

• Administrators

Tech9,

Honestly, too many unknowns here. We need WAY more info here. It could one, two, or 6 of over 300 things going on causing whatever situation you are experiencing. What ever the engine is doing, at what times it is, and what times it is not, doing those things needs to be known. The best scenario here is that it really needs to be seen, heard, experienced, and fiddled with first hand to offer any real applicable help. Are you affiliated with a local Z car club? Plug in with a local club and at best, someone that is familiar with the Datsun/Hitachi L-jet EFI and it’s known regular quirk’s will be bale to help out especially if they can see this first hand.

Sorry, without a LOT more info, there isn’t much we can do..

The z-car club around here is pretty lame, noone knows what is wrong.

The main problem is that the car starts, idles perfect, but when you try and actually rev up the motor, or give it any load, it just bogs down. We can't figure out yet if its too rich or too lean, but the injectors do fire, and they keep firing during the whole process. Just don't know where to start, we've tried almost everything.

Guest nutsabout_z

I had a similar problem.

The EFI relay would start clicking after the motor warmed up, car would hesitate & die at idle. The connectoin to the tempurature sensor was bad. After I cleaned all of my EFI connections under the hood problem stopped.

Vince

It's defiently the relay clicking, it was the idle screw apparently.

Were still in search of the problem, I read the EFI bible and its helpful.

I'm thinking maybe head gasket though, coolant was a little foamy.

It's defiently the relay clicking, it was the idle screw apparently.

Were still in search of the problem, I read the EFI bible and its helpful.

I'm thinking maybe head gasket though, coolant was a little foamy.

maybe it's the relay itself?

they are a little hard to get a hold of. however when i thought i blew mine, i looked on the floor of my car, and whaddayaknow?! another efi relay. :rolleyesg

So why are you starting multiple threads about the same problem - and still fixated on the head gasket??

And please note that the fuel pressure regulator will click rhythmically as it does its job..that has fooled people (including me) in the past).