HybridZ

Maybe its the distributor?

Vac advance is working. (holds suction) At 4500 rpm it hits the wall. just stops pulling and hovers there. Under no load it will rev to a full 6000 rpm. sbc 350 vortec heads, 8psi @97 gph fuel pump. q-jet carb (new)

Iv been dealing with thias for some time, the only thing left to replace is the distributor...

Vac advance is working. (holds suction) At 4500 rpm it hits the wall. just stops pulling and hovers there. Under no load it will rev to a full 6000 rpm. sbc 350 vortec heads, 8psi @97 gph fuel pump. q-jet carb (new)

Iv been dealing with thias for some time, the only thing left to replace is the distributor...

How large of a wire to you have feeding the distributor? These things draw a lot of current. When I got my car the previuos owner had wired with about a 16 gage wire, not near big enough. I put a 10 gage on it and was shocked at the difference it made.

Deja, which wire are we talking about here? the positive that feeds the coil???? I tapped into the original coil feed wire under the battery. (the one that fed the straight 6 coil) was I supposto do something different? Im a little confused...

Deja, which wire are we talking about here? the positive that feeds the coil???? I tapped into the original coil feed wire under the battery. (the one that fed the straight 6 coil) was I supposto do something different? Im a little confused...

There should be two connections on the distributor. One for the tach and one that says Batt. The Batt wire needs to be really large. If the stock wire is not then you need to trace it back to its source and run a bigger wire. That should be a ignition switched +12v.

Do I run the wire from the ignition switch to the coil?

Yes, but I'm confused now. My HEI did not use an external coil, it was build into the cap. Therfore there was no external ground wire. The ignition module was also inside the distributor. Like I said there was only one wire needed to run mine. Pictures of yours?????

wow im sorry... I dont have the car in front of me at this second... that black wire that i mistakenly refered to is my tach wire... oops

So i need to run a 10 gage wire from my distributor to my ignition switch? and is that all... Is there a way I can bypass the key switch and go directly to the battery.. do I need to do anything to my fuse panel?

wow im sorry... I dont have the car in front of me at this second... that black wire that i mistakenly refered to is my tach wire... oops

So i need to run a 10 gage wire from my distributor to my ignition switch? and is that all... Is there a way I can bypass the key switch and go directly to the battery.. do I need to do anything to my fuse panel?

If you ran that directly to the battery your ignition would always have power and it would not last long and your car would be a snap to steal. Your fuse panel "should" be fine, as fine as any Datsun fuse panel is, LOL.

Do you feel that this the problem... And am I correct in saying that the solution is to run a larger guage wire FROM the distributor TO the ignition switch and that is it, correct??? I would hat to have to buy a new dist. and find out that I have the same problem...

Do you feel that this the problem... And am I correct in saying that the solution is to run a larger guage wire FROM the distributor TO the ignition switch and that is it, correct??? I would hat to have to buy a new dist. and find out that I have the same problem...

No I'm not saying that at all. Just telling you what I experianced with my HEI and an undersized wire. Your milage may differ. But even if you have to get a new distributor you NEED that large gage wire.

Hey Nealio, If you're looking to buy a new distributor I can vouch for the ones this person sells http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-V8-PROCOMP-HEI-DISTRIBUTOR-COIL-HIGH-PERFORMANCE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33690QQihZ017QQitemZ270144422112 . I bought one a couple months ago, and have turned it 6,000 rpm (no more til I get new valve springs) without a hickup. I'm sure there are better ones out there, but so far mine works great.......and I thought the price was right. I've only put around 20 miles on it though, so I can't say anything about it's longevity.