HybridZ

Strange squealing from engine.

Update: I removed the intake and exhaust manifolds. I sanded the surfaces with a straight bar. The manifolds checked out pretty straight. The gasket did not show any blatant signs of leaking. I did notice a tiny bit of oil on the block about the size of two quarters located just below the head gasket at cylinder number 5. I cleaned it up, reassembled the manifolds with no gasket, using Ultra Copper High Temp Silicone. I took it for a drive and it seems pretty quiet. No chirping or phisssing. The only time I hear anything that sounds like a knocking exhaust leak is when i rev it in neutral and stand next to the engine bay. It's very faint but it's there. Maybe it's the head gasket....anyhow, it runs great so I am going to finish off the Summer as is. Then I will pull the motor and rebuild.

OK update. I went for a test run this afternoon and the squeek is still there but not nearly as loud. That tells me that the gasket is shot and/or the manfold is warped enough to leak. One of the hydraulic lifters began intermittently ticking again, and there is a tiny tiny bit of oil smoking off the turbo center section. All in all, it's running great but I am not sure for how long...the engine pull and rebuild has just gotten much higher on my list of priorities. It's about a year sooner than I wanted, but I can make it happen this Fall.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say your turbo is loosing oil somehow, perhaps the center section got too hot and warped the impeller shaft. Now i'm thinking at high RPM it vibrates enough so that you can hear it.

Arnold Schwarzenegger voice: "It is not de turbo."

The turbo is bone dry, no detectable shaft play, spools really fast and sounds normal...like a 747 on taxiway.

I am guessing head gasket at this point. I will keep an eye on the water and oil. So far there is no mixing of fluids.

Yup it's the head gasket. It's bleeding compression from the drivers side of cylinder number five. Oh well time to put the engine hoist to good use.

oh come on, you can do it without removing the entire engine!

unless there are other goodies we don't know abouts ?! :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...
Cygnux, I appreciate your posting a conclusion to the thread. So often there's a problem stated, then some speculation, then - nothing. It's refreshing and satisfying to have closure. Thanks.

Here Here!

'grats on gitten' her done, cygnutttts

did you pull the engine completely? :nono:

Coming in late, I had a HORRIBLE exhaust squeak on my '72 Fury until I finally found a stainless steel mesh exhaust donut for the offending manifold flange. Turns out the flange was warped and the donut was thick and malleable enough to fill it in and not burn out. Irritating and embarrassing as hell. Glad you found it. Weird, ain't it? You'd never think a leak would actually squeak...

• 1 month later...
Guest bluestreak

hmmm, i've got that same sound in my engine, head gasket checks out good on the compression test and there's no fluid mixing. i checked the same bolts you described on your manifold and found it was loose, glad to have that awful noise a lot quieter... i guess i'll have to put those headers on sooner than later

Coming in late, I had a HORRIBLE exhaust squeak on my '72 Fury until I finally found a stainless steel mesh exhaust donut for the offending manifold flange. Turns out the flange was warped and the donut was thick and malleable enough to fill it in and not burn out. Irritating and embarrassing as hell. Glad you found it. Weird, ain't it? You'd never think a leak would actually squeak...

so can we classify this as a "level 1 leak-squeak"?

:icon55: