HybridZ

Cracked Bellhousing Causes?

jt1

Everytime I pull the motor or trans out of my car, I find a cracked bellhousing. This current one is the 4th. I previously blamed it on the block, but this time it's a different block, and I had the bellhousing surfaced and wet magged for cracks, and indicated it true to the crank within 0.005" TIR.

It doesn't really seem to hurt anything, but it can't be good for the long term. I'm using the GM 3858403 bellhousing, and all the cracks have been in an area not supported by the block, i.e. below the crank centerline.

Anybody got any idea what causes this, and how to fix it? It's getting harder and harder to find these in the local junkyards.

John

Everytime I pull the motor or trans out of my car, I find a cracked bellhousing. This current one is the 4th. I previously blamed it on the block, but this time it's a different block, and I had the bellhousing surfaced and wet magged for cracks, and indicated it true to the crank within 0.005" TIR.

It doesn't really seem to hurt anything, but it can't be good for the long term. I'm using the GM 3858403 bellhousing, and all the cracks have been in an area not supported by the block, i.e. below the crank centerline.

Anybody got any idea what causes this, and how to fix it? It's getting harder and harder to find these in the local junkyards.

John

Just get a Lakewood.

Alan

Ron-

The engine is on the 70's GM rubber truck mounts, and the trans in on the generic rubber 350 trans mount. No alignment issues that I can detect.

Alan- The lakewood does not have teh liTen3ss. The GM one is 8 #'s.

jt

Ron-

The engine is on the 70's GM rubber truck mounts, and the trans in on the generic rubber 350 trans mount. No alignment issues that I can detect.

Alan- The lakewood does not have teh liTen3ss. The GM one is 8 #'s.

jt

Well pooh. You indicated the alignment was within .005" so maybe polishing the whole thing to get rid of any stress risers. If it happens after that stop drill the end of the crack.

Does the crack happen at the same place every time?

Of course if you went with a Jerico 5 speed there should be a Lakewood housing for that.... nothing but $$$ and damn cool noise.

Alan

The cracks aren't in exactly the same place, but they all originate in the lower right hand quadrant, usually somewhere below the starter bulge.

Polishing the whole bellhousing sounds like a lot of work. I'm eyeing a Tilton if the visa will stand it.

jt

• 12 years later...