HybridZ

Pics of ported Exh. Manifolds?

Ok, I did my due diligence and Garrett and someone else have threads that the links to pics are gone.

I have my engine out, blasted and repainted.

I am now wanting to port the exhaust manifold before sending it out to be jet hot coated inside and out, and since I am a visual kinda guy (no, i DON't read the articles in Playboy), I would like to SEE what others in the know have done in order to duplicate a good job.

I will also be reaming out the intake for the 60mm throttle body.

I already have carbide bits for both aluminum and cast iron/.steel and both compressor and electrically driven die grinders.

Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Brad

If you look inside the ports on the exhaust manifold you'll see that the casting protrudes inward to keep the wall thickness constant when the washers are.

This can all be hogged out as well as material around the turbo inlet.

internalgate_DP_014.sized.jpg

port_005.sized.jpg

port_006.sized.jpg

internalgate_DP_014

You can see kinda what need to be done there I didn't go crazy on mine but i did a little. The 2nd and 5th runners are the worst I don't have any pictures of them though.

what i was told to do buy a pro race mechanic was to get the gasket that i am going to be using and clamp it on the manifold. there is this small can of red dye that you paint on the manifold where you can see the meterial needed to be removed. then before you remove the gasket take a needle and score around the gasket that way there is a physical mark to port out to. i have doen this with my head, turbo manifold and the intake. looks great and will work a lot better. the head i am going to throw on is about half way done. if i can find the pic ill post it later.

what i was told to do buy a pro race mechanic was to get the gasket that i am going to be using and clamp it on the manifold. there is this small can of red dye that you paint on the manifold where you can see the meterial needed to be removed. then before you remove the gasket take a needle and score around the gasket that way there is a physical mark to port out to. i have doen this with my head, turbo manifold and the intake. looks great and will work a lot better. the head i am going to throw on is about half way done. if i can find the pic ill post it later.

Except that most turbo gaskets are designed to be about 5 millimeters larger all the way around than both the exhaust manifold and the head. You will have a large jump in diameter where you "port matched" and then a drop back down as you get into the "throat" of the runners of both the head and the manifold. Instead, match the actual dimensions of the head with the actual dimensions of the manifold. These aren't like big cube N/A paper gaskets (where aftermarket intake manifolds are the EXACT size of a standard aftermarket gasket) like that method is used for.