HybridZ

Is this worth it?

I just got an offer for a full suspension setup front and rear, Toyota 4X4 brakes( front and rear), and a R200 with a LSD.

Front and rear suspension consists of : Ground control coilovers, Tokico 5-way adjustables, Sways front and rear, all of the poly-bushings included.

Brakes are: Toyota 4x4 conversions, slotted drilled rotors, rear conversion to disc, all braided lines.

A R200 with a LSD in it ready to install. With the 280 half-shafts.

they are wanting 3600 for it all. I think it is a little high... Am I wrong?

I paid:

$400 for new GC coilovers

$500 for new illuminas

$200 for new MSA front/rear sways

$450 for new toyota s12w calipers, spacers, z31 rotors, pads from mike gibson (scca)

$60 for 4 earl's braided ss brake lines

$350 for used r200 lsd 3.7

$140 for new full ES bushings kit

$200 for rear disk brackets from Ross (240sx calipers were free, but let's assume $100 for them)

$100 for a pair of rear z31 rotors

$30 for rear pads

So far I'm at $2,530 with more than half new parts. Labor, obviously, done myself. Unless it's a quaiffe LSD, it's nowhere near worth it. plus, parts are used, and auto accident = stress and shock? We can assume $400 for rear A-arms, front LCAs, TC rods, etc... which is still less than what he's asking.

My opinion, however

• Administrators

Depends on what else is included. Does that include the rack, cross member etc? Car was wrecked? Any guarantee that the suspension was not damaged or stressed during the accident?

I currently have a very similar set up for sale, though I’m not including an LSD diff or half shafts. Complete front and rear suspension off my 240-Z race car. Approx 6 hours total time all parts, all is still assembled ready to bolt up. All that is needed is the Ground control coil over upper spring perches front and rear which cost less than $20 ea from GC. Not wrecked, just parted out the race car to build the street Z.

Front suspension;

Front cross member with the 240 rack and pinion, T/C rods, Ploy T/C bushings, LCA with Poly LCA bushings, brand new wheel bearings, new brake rotors, new Porterfield R4 pads, new braded stainless brake lines, brand new tie rod ends, brand new lower ball joints, strut tubes are sectioned and have the shorter G/C Tokico 5 ways installed, Ground control coil overs and adjustable spring perches, bump steer spacers, S/T front bar with frame mount hardware and poly bushings.

Rear suspension;

Control arms with inner and outer Poly bushings, new spindle pins, ZX rear disc conversion with new rotors, Porterfield R-4 pads, new braided stainless brake lines, new wheel bearings, sectioned strut tubes with the shorter G/C Tokico 5 ways, Ground Control coil over springs and adjustable spring perches, S/T rear mount sway bar with new uprights and mounting hardware, poly bushings.

I’m also including another set of Porterfield R-4 pads still in the box.

I tallied all the receipts to around $3100 for all the aftermarket parts alone, (not including the cross member, steering rack, labor for the rear disc conversion, labor for the strut sectioning and Coil over set up, bearing installation, bushing install etc), and am asking $2000 for this set up. I will NOT ship this as I don’t have time to crate it, though delivery within 100 mile radius of Portland OR can be arranged for a little extra.

Front;

Frontmd.jpg

Rear;

Rearmd.jpg

• Administrators

I have it here in the shop in Sandy Oregon, just outside of Portland.

The suspension is all I have left of the car, that is for sale any how. Another well established HybridZ member has the shell and those monster slicks, (he was just viewing this thread a moment ago), another nearby racer has the engine and the R-160 LSD, GearHeadStik has the induction, Mega squirt and EDIS ignition, the 5 speed is in the 2+2 show car that Ron Tyler built the custom intake manifold for. I’m keeping the radiator, instruments, radiator, driver side alternator conversion, and few other little trinkets.

$600 will buy you a brand new Power Brute LSD carrier for an R200. R200's themselves are almost give away items.

You don't say how old everything is. Used LSD's often require rebuilding, at which point just buy a new PB carrier.

$3600 is more than I would pay. There is something to be said for the convience of getting everything in one package though.

Get 20 brand new $100 bills and go talk to the man. Be prepared to walk away if he doesn't bite. Depending upon what the used Z market is in your area he might be still trying to recoup his money a year or two from now.

He was able to put the setup on his car and drive it for about 100miles before his throttle stuck and he got in the accident. He works for the shop that my car is at so I would tend to trust him. But you guys are right 3600 is a little steep even if everything is gently used. I think I am going to hold off and purchase things piece by piece and wait to install it all at one time. Besides I am just getting the car back on the road and I want to start driving it around embarassing some Hondas in the area.