HybridZ

Sump, fitment, and transmission issues

mario_82_ZXT

With this new forum, I've recently become very interested in dropping in one of these Toyota engines into my car since there is a very high probably my L28ET needs a rebuild.

So far what I've found is that 2JZs and 1JZs are available in front and mid-sump, yet I hear of some people mention rear sump engines. Are the pans and pickups custom?

The one that has really struck my fancy was a 1JZ-GTTE. I can get one for about $600 plus shipping, just engine, turbos, manifolds, and some wiring (doesn't matter, I'm megasquirting it). It seems that the Supras that came with this engine come with the mid sump (or rear... should we call it middle rear? :weird:)

I want to keep the engine basically stock (except engine management and a front mount), is it possible to fit the exhaust on the passenger side for the TTs? Would 2JZ mounts work on the 1JZ? aka could I use someone else's design (since there are a few 2JZ swaps already) to mount it in?

Now on the transmission, of course I want a manual, but from what I have read, only the 1JZ-GTE (singe turbo) came available with a manual. So I need the bell housing from that and it should be a straight swap with an R154 5 speed right? Are there any other manual transmission choices (I think the weaker W58 is one? I need to check if that ones even available in the states...)?

Lots of questions, sorry for the long post...

Mario

Are the pans and pickups custom?

No. As far as I know most people use mid-sump and rear sump interchangeably when talking 2jz oil pans. You want a mid-sump oil pan set up. All the pieces can be ordered from you local toyota dealer.

I want to keep the engine basically stock (except engine management and a front mount), is it possible to fit the exhaust on the passenger side for the TTs?

It is possible and has been done in two 240Z's that I have seen on the web, one of those being Cyrus's Z. Not sure on 280zx's but I bet it can be done if it was done on 240z's.

Would 2JZ mounts work on the 1JZ?

I believe they interchangeable based on everything I've read ans saw pictures of.

aka could I use someone else's design (since there are a few 2JZ swaps already) to mount it in?

You could copy them by looking at the pics, but I don't know of anyone currently selling them. Mazworks would like to have the car there to do one like Zgads last time I spoke with them last year. So far they're all custom made. Just throwing it out there but an easier option that even made me think twice about my swap was 2jzswap.com. They sell a rather complete kit to drop in a 2jz into a 240sx for a decent price.

Now on the transmission, of course I want a manual, but from what I have read, only the 1JZ-GTE (singe turbo) came available with a manual. So I need the bell housing from that and it should be a straight swap with an R154 5 speed right?

Correct.

Are there any other manual transmission choices (I think the weaker W58 is one? I need to check if that ones even available in the states...)?

The other options would be W58 and V160. V160 six speeds are very strong while W58 are weaker than R154s and much weaker than V160's. All of this I have read about, not from my own personal experience. Five speed W58's came on US model Lexus SC300's.

• 3 months later...
What is an estimate on the price of a Mid-Sump pan?

If the 2J "Supra" engine you bought off ebay:roll: does not have a mid/rear sump it was not out of a Mk4 Supra -probably from an Aristo. Someone correct me if wrong,but I think Mk 4 was only Supra with 2J, and they were mid/rear pan.

On closer look at the ebay pic's on the link you posted,little bit hard to tell with angle pic's were taken from, but it looks like it could be a front pan.

Good news bad news, engine from a 4 door might not have got the flogging a sports car could have got,

bad news, you need a different pan set up.for differenses Supra, Aristo look here.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14855

Wow I really dont know how to take that I hope you were being sarcastic. I put this question in this post because I am VERY aware that I have a front sump pan. The question I asked was how much is a rear sump pan going to cost me? I am not sure what the E-Bay thing has to do with anything about this post.

Wow I really dont know how to take that I hope you were being sarcastic. I put this question in this post because I am VERY aware that I have a front sump pan. The question I asked was how much is a rear sump pan going to cost me? I am not sure what the E-Bay thing has to do with anything about this post.

Sorry, it is a cross post thing. In your thread "how does this2J look?" your post of two days ago indicated you thought you might have got a bad one. As the ebay (that most replies indicated is not a great place to buy an engine unseen)listing was for a "supra" 2J,Just thought you might like to Know that (as you were now looking for a mid sump) if your mail order engine had a front sump it would not be from a Supra, and there are other differences if it was from an Aristo.More than just the sump.(link to assist you) Had it been a dog,like you seemed to think it was 2 days ago, you would have a claim with ebay/paypal for misleading advertising. But as of today("how does this2J look"post) the engine is a good one ,so this is superfluous information.Also,I missed the part in the other thread where you indicated that you knew the "supra" engine was not a "supra" engine.(front pan and all that)

Try "search" for sump/pan info. It's all there.

• 3 months later...

I've looked through several of the 2JZ threads and the links to 2JZ specific sites. All information points to the JDM Supra as being the only mid-sump 2JZ-GTE. However, all of the pictures on ebay ads of supposed JDM Supra engines show a definite front-sump (versus middle or rear).

Are these just stock photos essentially? Are they lying?

No front sump pans came on any of the 2jz/1jz supras US or JDM...what you have is a aristo 2jz...which fine and is rated at 280hp...

Thanks, but a front sump 2JZ will NOT work on any L-series Z. So if indeed Supra 2JZ's are the only mid/rear sump setups, then that is what I need; and if this is the case, I suppose I should contact the sellers and ask what it is exactly they're selling.

their were only two, the front sump pan and the mid sump pan. People say the rear sump, but is the same thing as the supra mid sump pan.

Right. That's why I called it the mid/rear sump.

Oh well, turns out a friend of mine works for a company I probably shouldn't mention and he'll trade me straight up for a mid/rear sump setup if I end up with a front sumped engine.

• 2 months later...
Guest selaga

This is the sump you need (Only alloy part showing)

Alloy sump, steel sump, oil dipstick and tube and baffle.

As a guide Mid sumps go for AUD$100, and front ones for AUD$300 secondhand here in OZ.

I will put up a pic of the front sump when my Aristo arrives next week...

DSC00622.JPG

Are the pans and pickups custom?

No. As far as I know most people use mid-sump and rear sump interchangeably when talking 2jz oil pans. You want a mid-sump oil pan set up. All the pieces can be ordered from you local toyota dealer.

I want to keep the engine basically stock (except engine management and a front mount), is it possible to fit the exhaust on the passenger side for the TTs?

It is possible and has been done in two 240Z's that I have seen on the web, one of those being Cyrus's Z. Not sure on 280zx's but I bet it can be done if it was done on 240z's.

Would 2JZ mounts work on the 1JZ?

I believe they interchangeable based on everything I've read ans saw pictures of.

aka could I use someone else's design (since there are a few 2JZ swaps already) to mount it in?

You could copy them by looking at the pics, but I don't know of anyone currently selling them. Mazworks would like to have the car there to do one like Zgads last time I spoke with them last year. So far they're all custom made. Just throwing it out there but an easier option that even made me think twice about my swap was 2jzswap.com. They sell a rather complete kit to drop in a 2jz into a 240sx for a decent price.

Now on the transmission, of course I want a manual, but from what I have read, only the 1JZ-GTE (singe turbo) came available with a manual. So I need the bell housing from that and it should be a straight swap with an R154 5 speed right?

Correct.

Are there any other manual transmission choices (I think the weaker W58 is one? I need to check if that ones even available in the states...)?

The other options would be W58 and V160. V160 six speeds are very strong while W58 are weaker than R154s and much weaker than V160's. All of this I have read about, not from my own personal experience. Five speed W58's came on US model Lexus SC300's.

HEY OATMILK I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE FROM JOHN FROM BETA motors...and he told me to talk to you about the 2j swap...im gettn ready to do mine...

Just for everyone else i personally know everyone from 2jzswap.com and I would never do buisness with them.

Quote: "Now on the transmission, of course I want a manual, but from what I have read, only the 1JZ-GTE (singe turbo) came available with a manual. So I need the bell housing from that and it should be a straight swap with an R154 5 speed right? Are there any other manual transmission choices (I think the weaker W58 is one? I need to check if that ones even available in the states...)?"

all of the earlier 1jzgte's from the mk3 supras ect. were all twin turbo,not single turbo, and you could get them in a manual trans. The later version, the 1jz vvti was a single turbo, and as far as I know, was never offered with a manual trans from the factory, although a r154 bolts up. Also, I am using 2jz mounts on my 1jz, you can see pics in my thread.