HybridZ

floor jack?

grumpyvette

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00950239000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Lift+Equipment

GOT A QUESTION GRUMPYVETTE?

I THINK IT LISTS FOR $300 but its on sale for only $179.00

What do you think? For this money is there a better product? I liked it when I saw it in person - but wasn't sure if there was something better out there...

thanks.

read the customer reviews, a high percentage of the purchasers think its TOTAL CHEAP junk

since your willing to spend $300 on one floor jack...ID buy one or better yet, TWO of these

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00950167000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Lift+Equipment&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

EVERYONE LOVES THEM, yeah thier heavy but what good is light weight if it won,t work, and at a 4 ton rateing they have an extra safety margin

don,t forget to get 4 of the HF 12 ton jack stands, remember your BUTTS under that vette and unless you can do a one handed bench press with the vette ID advise makeing damn sure it cant ever tip/fall on you when your working under it...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34924

btw a differant option

http://www.kwiklift.com/Options.htm

Thanks Grumpy. Great advice on buying good quality products when it comes to floor jacks and stands. I have attended two jack related fatalities as a police officer. One was a guy using a scissor jack at the front of his vehicle to check his front CV. He was found crushed to death under the car by his wife the day after Christmas. The jack was found to have fallen over sideways while he was under the vehicle. The second guy was using a cheap floor jack at the rear of his vehicle. This jack was found to be faulty and appears to have been a hydraulic problem; failing and crushing him under the vehicle. He was found by a neighbour. Both were preventable deaths. A good quality floor jack and ALWAYS using jack stands when going under the car is the only way to go.

I learned the hard way. After I hit the jack out from under the car my hand was sandwiched between the strut and some other part (it's a fuzzy memory and I was about to dirty up some good underwear). I managed to roll over (I had to twist my arm) and with the other hand I managed to take the arm out of the jack, tighten the screw and jack the car up. I was amazed once I finally got out that my hand wasn't broken. I don't think I was far enough under the car to be killed if my hand hadn't caught it but it's possible. Needless to say I always use jack stands now.

Costco usually has a pretty good deal on aluminum floor jacks. I think mine has a max height of 18-1/2" and weighs ~40 lb.

- Greg -

i have went through four of those damn things, they never lasted more then a week and they always kept falling apart, then i tried the aluminum 4 ton floor jack from sears and the only problem i have had with it was that one of the grab handles fell off. keep in mind that it gets used 7-8 times a week and about 14 times a day saturday at the track.

i have went through four of those damn things, they never lasted more then a week and they always kept falling apart.

What fell apart exactly?

I had problems with the hydraulics (leaked all over the garage floor), then I actually read the instruction manual and found out they shipped it half full of fluid. I replaced it with a new one and checked the fluid before using it -- same problem. So I refilled the reservoir, bled it properly, and it hasnt leaked a drop in ~2 years. If any air is exposed to the seals the cylinder will leak under pressure. I ran into the same problem with my engine hoist from Harbor Freight.

I guess that makes for golden rule #2 - always make sure your jack is properly filled and bled before use.

- Greg -

those two grab handles fell off first, then the wheels came loose, then the four arms that hold up the little round plate then the little support bar on the bottom, then the pump started leaking, then the little universal joint broke.