HybridZ

I Have "THE HOOD"

spacecase70

Personally, i'm not buying one.

I DO, however appreciate the effort to bring a bigger selection of products to the community.

I think everyone is being way too hard on someone who is obviously far from just pulling molds off of a dented piece of sheetmetal. Guys, It's a work in progress. Yes... "THE HOOD" is a slightly arrogant title for what stage it is in right now. I just hope everyone at least appreciates the effort people put into trying to make new parts for our cars...

It's true that the function and design are not going to work for everyone, but it's as simple as that, no need to try to kill someone's project because you (and I) don't care for it.

Keep up the work, keep us updated. Some people do appreciate it.

Edit: Like Bartman said, I would focus on building the first one, then plan on making a few copies based on demand if you are pleased with it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you know...

We put the S-30 cars in a windtunnel to test a lot of aftermarket parts as well as determine characteristics of flow in several areas.

The information I am giving you is factual and proven in a

VERY expensive series of tests.

The vents in the 280Z hoods are there to let air OUT not IN. In fact.... you will cause cooling problems by forcing air into the engine compartment ANYWHERE past the radiator support frame.

The problems with engine compartment pressurization have been well documented. If a significant amount of air does flow into those holes you will increase drag, you will also increase LIFT, and you will stall the air flowing through the radiator to the point that your engine will overheat.

This hood represents form over function to the highest degree. In fact it IMPAIRS the functionality of the car.

Thanks Bartman, and to clarify. I developed my hood strictly on my own dime, I have two cars for the hood and wanted one for each and to learn the whole fabrication process. I learned a lot and am using it for my next "creation". I don't require deposits, and I have delivered every hood ordered. I can say they have sold well enough recoup my development and mold building costs and am much wiser from the experience. I lucked out and found a great deal on packaging and shipping to keep costs down for the customer. I really can't see how you will be able to hit your $300 target but congratulate you if you do.

I would also agree that "THE HOOD" is a slightly arrogant title for what stage it is in right now, I know it grabbed my attention though because I thought you had got a hold of one of mine:)

Just so you know...

We put the S-30 cars in a windtunnel to test a lot of aftermarket parts as well as determine characteristics of flow in several areas.

The information I am giving you is factual and proven in a

VERY expensive series of tests.

The vents in the 280Z hoods are there to let air OUT not IN. In fact.... you will cause cooling problems by forcing air into the engine compartment ANYWHERE past the radiator support frame.

The problems with engine compartment pressurization have been well documented. If a significant amount of air does flow into those holes you will increase drag, you will also increase LIFT, and you will stall the air flowing through the radiator to the point that your engine will overheat.

This hood represents form over function to the highest degree. In fact it IMPAIRS the functionality of the car.

I understand what what you are talking about. i just thought it looked really cool and i would put it on mine , now i dont know. I will continue the development of it with Bartmerr and we will see if all works out the way we are hoping it does. thank you for your valuable input fellas, I really appreciate it! ps also we were developing a way to extract the underhood air from the sides of the car using gills in the fenders. we are still workinf on this project and it is for a project street car

To make the "gills" functional won't you have to cut holes in the fender wells to allow the air to escape the engine bay?

Can this be done without compromising the strength of the front end?

Where are you planning to cut the hole(s)?

Where did you guys get thos "gills"?

I like the looks but haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

Wheelman

To make the "gills" functional won't you have to cut holes in the fender wells to allow the air to escape the engine bay?

Can this be done without compromising the strength of the front end?

Where are you planning to cut the hole(s)?

Where did you guys get thos "gills"?

I like the looks but haven't seen them for sale anywhere.

Wheelman

My gills are from a 78 Camaro http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119955. My plan is to cut holes in the fender wells to allow hot air to escape, but I think it can be done without compromising the strength in those areas. I'm also planning on using sheet metal in the back of the wheel openings to connect the outer fender area and the inner fender. This will allow air escaping from the engine compartment to flow through the openings in the inner fender and out the fender vents without additional air flow being introduced. I believe closing off the area behind the front wheel openings was discussed in the windtunnel section as a possible improvement to the Z's aerodynamics.

I can't seem to find the link anymore, but there was someone that actually put holes in their inner fenders and installed small electric fans in them to force air out from the engine compartment into the inner fenders.

I'll keep looking...

edit: I found it - http://www.georgiazclub.com/tips/ztech/v8cooling.htm

Bart,

I'd seen that article before and even considered the mod when I was having problems with the engine overheating, but since I put in a cooler thermostat and wired my Tuarus fan to run only on high speed I've had no problems what so ever. In fact it may even run a bit to cool on the highway.

BJ,

Thanks for the picture.

Do you have any idea or feeling of how much air flows through those?

Do you know if it helps with eliminating lift?

Wheelman