HybridZ

I Have "THE HOOD"

spacecase70

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these scoops are for function as well as looks
Really...Do you have any data to support this? If you do some searching, you may find out that they don't provide the functionality you may be expecting.

I am especially suspicious of your so called 'Engine cooling air intake'.

and the oil cooler vent...

only the 280zx's came with oil coolers.. and were not mounted along side the middle of the engine

Z's benefit from "vents/louvers" to expel the high pressure build up air at high speeds and allow the heat to RISE out of the hood.

The vents in your design act as "ram air" effect and actually jam more high pressure air under the hood. Although the air is cooler it will absorb some heat... but not efficiently.

AND the "induction" vent is way out of place.. if you notice the Z's air box is located on the front of the radiator support.. or the "passengers" side of the car. The induction vent is located too far back and on the wrong side of the engine compartment.

these scoops are for function as well as looks

attachment.php?attachmentid=3301&d=1185827100

As my 70 240 is in the work stage and not as yet running and this is the car that the hood is on there are as yet no stats on it.

The engin is a 240 with dry sump oil and the cooler is going to be mounted on the pasengers side under the scoop that is what I designed the hood to do.

The air intake is twin SUs with a coustom air cleaner that is going to be ducted to the drivers side scoop.

As for the evacuation of the under hood air I intend to have shark gills on the sides of the fenders.

As I said this is a car that is in the works stage at this time.

I do not know if I will ever get to the point that the car is DONE.

is there anyone here that can tell me that their car is DONE?

I'm sorry guys but, the quality of the work on that hood just plain sucks!!!! I can't imagine anyone installing such a poorly done hood on their Z and be proud of it..............sorry for my un-candy coated responce!!!!!!!!!!

I think your custom one off hood is going to stay that way...unless you can make it in acrylic orange move the left scoop back, move the right scoop forward and two inches farther to the right and change the center scoop to be made out of gold.

Obviously I'm joking, but it sounds like you have a design that will work for what you want; but probably isn't going to work for anyone else. No matter what you change, someone else will want it different.

I think the nicest looking aftermarket S30 hood out there right now is made by 280Zone http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101130, but I don't think he's sold very many of them. This board has had very bad experiences with people taking deposits claiming that they can make a specific product, and then they don't come through. It nevers gets completed, poor quality, takes too long, etc. I've been burned myself.

:fmad:

I recommend you make the hood for yourself and maybe afterwards think about making more based on demand of the final product.