HybridZ

how do you tell what tranny you have?

I have a 71 240 z. it has a brand new rebuilt 5 speed. I have a brand new bully clutch. I installed the trans myself and i am having shifting problems. I engage the clutch and have a really hard time getting it into gear.

I was searching a forum and someone said about different throw out bearing collar sizes. I would like to het the proper one for my trany, but i dont know what car my 5 speed comes from. i looked on my trans and all i could find on it is L3. Does that mean anything?

On the L series you don't need to open any of the hydraulic lines to change the clutch.

Zparts.com has the page with all the collar lengths listed. You might have to find out what length you have and then get the appropriate pressure plate for it.

zhome.com has a couple of pictures of the different transmissions and ways to tell them apart.

Above and beyond that, if you want to tell what kind of tranny you have, you just have to lift up its skirt and take a look. :wink: