HybridZ

What to do with Frame...

I've never had to ever deal with any actual frame work or anything remotely as complex and critical.

Here are some photos of my bent frame rails. I received the car like this. It has virtually no rust other than a few areas with surface rust on a couple body parts. As far as I know when the car was fixed after it was hit. Most things were pretty well aligned up. However I really have no way of figuring out if its really right. To be honest; I just want to fix it...

Everything from these points back are straight. or at least appear to be very close to straight.

1.) Passanger side just behind where the alternator is and just above the steering rack:

20070804_7956.jpg

2.) Another photo of the same spot.

20070804_7963.jpg

3.) Same location just on Driver side:

20070804_7957.jpgp

4.) Same, area.

20070804_7968.jpg

5.) Radiator support area driver side.

20070804_7964.jpg

6.) I tried to get a shot of the seams buckling apart but it was tough...

20070804_7961.jpg

• Administrators

DOH!!! The front of that car is BENT and bent bad! It appears to be forward of the strut towers which doesn’t affect the suspension so much, but it definitely has an issue. Due to the severity of that damage, I’d be very much concerned about damage behind the strut towers as well. If damage is also behind the strut towers and you and have no plans to straighten the car and add chassis stiffening, I’d ditch that shell and transfer all your goodies over to a good straight shell.

If that were my car and I was dead set on keeping that shell, I would take it down do a body shop and have the car checked thoroughly front to rear to make the rest of the car is square plumb. Even if the shop is able to “realign” the car, it wont be as rigid as it was prior to the accident. If you are discerning track driver, you will most l likely want to perform some chassis stiffening for the affected areas after the shell is realigned, i.e. firewall forward at least.

Good luck,

Paul

I did forget to mention that the car went on a rack and they did say everything behind the suspension was straight. This is not a track car, and truthfully it never will be. I know if I could get it straight in the front and smooth out some of those wrinkles in the sheet metal I'd be absolutely content with that sort of fix since this car isnt going to be putting down and record laps or hp numbers. It will simply be a nice little car to drive around.

I'm going to be bringing it to another alignment shop so that I can get some more opinions from them and just to double check everything.

You could buy new frame rails and weld them in, or make your own out of square tube. Do a search and you'll find several threads from people who have done this previously.

I'd probably look for a new tub. Might require a flight to AZ or CA, but it might also be a bargain vs fixing that one...

IMHO... the car is a driver and is not worth putting much mony into. Drive it and enjoy it but find another car to build into a track or show car.

I'll agree with John 100%. Your damage and level of repair looks similar to what I started with. The car had been someones daily driver for years so I don't think there is any harm in drving it the way it is. I ended up sectioning mine in front of the strut towers and replacing the frame rails with structural tubing. Lots of work and expense, I should have started with a cleaner car.

Here is where I sectioned mine and if you look closely you can see the dent in the frame rail just below the strut tower.

pass%20side%20welded.jpg

I'll agree with John 100%. Your damage and level of repair looks similar to what I started with. The car had been someones daily driver for years so I don't think there is any harm in drving it the way it is. I ended up sectioning mine in front of the strut towers and replacing the frame rails with structural tubing. Lots of work and expense, I should have started with a cleaner car.

Here is where I sectioned mine and if you look closely you can see the dent in the frame rail just below the strut tower.

That looks like the exact spot where I have damage.